Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM's What is your Swine Flu Policy?

(11 Posts)
shoshe Mon 13-Jul-09 18:38:27

Have you written one? I have tonight as the dreaded flu has reached the Army Camp we are on.

I have printed out the Guidence that we were sent from Surestart, one for each family, and said that if any of the family contract it, then the child is not to come in, until totally symptom free.

What are the rest of you going to do?

danthe4th Mon 13-Jul-09 19:05:45

I'm treating it like any other illness, if the child is fine they can come. I live in a small village and the local school has 2 cases confirmed today, my daughters high school also and my sons playgroup in the next village, so 2 be honest we can't really exclude as its a bit difficult to dodge it now.I'm just following the same guidance as the schools to remain open. One of my parents is also poorly but i'm not going to ban the child if she is well.
Be interested to know if you disagree with me,but this is swine flu not the plague!!!

Acinonyx Mon 13-Jul-09 19:29:43

My CM cam down with swine flu 11 days ago. The children are all fine. She had a note dropped through my door 9 days ago. Since then I have heard nothing (I dropped a get well card off and she dropped a bday card for my dd). I called yesterday and left a message, asking how she was and asking her to call me but so far no response. So I assume she will be off sick this week - but I can't help thinking I should have had some message about this rather than just having to make assumptions.

Put out guidance the day it got upgraded, so about a month ago now I think.

Basic things saying what I am doing re infection control, teaching kids to sneeze/cough into hands/tissue and wash afterwards - what to do if I or they display flu symptoms and saying stay at home until confirmed/denied/well. If in doubt to assume tis swine flu.

If a child becomes ill with flu symptoms at my home they will be kept as isolated as possible and PPE worn, extra deep cleaning.

Making sure all emergency contacts are up to date.

That I will put word out if someone we have been in contact with is suspected of having Swine Flu, then up to them to make own decsions re attending.

Usual practise with fees, if I am ill, no fee, if they are full fees.

Umm, yup think that's about it really.

and also asking for a heads up if THEY have been in contact with someone confirmed/suspected.

shoshe Mon 13-Jul-09 19:39:47

Danthe, one of the reasons I am excluding a child if it is in the Family, is the fact I have Lupus, which is a autoimmune disease, and tend to catch things easily ( I came down with a cold on the 14th of every month for 5 months from August last year)

If I come down with it, that is 5 Families that would have to take time off, we are on a Army base, so nobody has Families to help out if I am closed, and we are desperately short of CM's here so nobody that could cover for me.

LoveMyGirls Mon 13-Jul-09 20:05:27

I'm starting to get worried about it tbh, one of my parents can barely speak but thinks she just has a sore throat, another parents has been sent home from work ill today and is worried she's got it, my throat has started to feel a bit sore and is red and I'm praying it's not the start of something.

I think in your case shose you are right to exclude.

Could you send me a copy of your policy please shoshe?

shoshe Mon 13-Jul-09 20:29:25

Have sent it LMGs

atworknotworking Mon 13-Jul-09 20:30:58

I did an info pack in April, which contained a copy of the govmnt guide, a covering letter and a hygiene proceedure which works as well as our usual policy, which included personal hygiene, hard surface, toileting / nappy change, exclusion / sickness.

We have had a club near us close today and more confirmed cases locally so we are also putting a gel in the reception area for visitors / parents to use as soon as they get into the building, the policy i have states that mindees must wash hands upon entry to our setting and then they put on gel rub too.

It's getting closer to us now so crossing fingers that weve done enough.

Katymac Mon 13-Jul-09 22:00:37

I purposly haven't written one

With DH having chronic lung disease - all my families are very aware it is a 'situation' if he gets it & will stay off if suspected

HSMM Tue 14-Jul-09 08:13:09

My DDs school sent out a really helpful letter, basically saying that they would stay open if a child got swine flu, but to be aware of symptoms. I copied used it as a basis for a letter to my parents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now