Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What is the protocol for a gift when your wonderful nanny leaves?

(7 Posts)
specialk1215 Sun 12-Jul-09 21:44:36

Hi all,
Our wonderful nanny of three years is leaving this week as she now needs fewer hours so she can take her daughter to and from school. We adore her and will definitely keep in touch.

I have always given her a weeks salary for a Christmas bonus, but I feel this is too much money to give as a leaving gift. She loves classical music, so I bought her two tickets to a great BBC Proms concert with amazing seats. I have also gotten my 4-year old and 2-year old to draw and paint pictures for her. Is that a good enough leaving gift, or is there a 'protocol' for giving an extra weeks wages or something??? I want to be fair and generous, as she has really been great and she is like a part of our family.

THis is my first time losing a nanny, so I don't know what the norm is. Can anyone please advise?

Thanks a lot all!!

nannynick Sun 12-Jul-09 23:11:37

I think that getting your nanny tickets for a concert she will like plus pictures from the children is a great gift.

I have a mug which a child drew on (think it is one of those mugs produced by a print company, as the picture is semi glazed over) which come Xmas this year will be 10 years old. So if you wanted the children to give something that will keep over time... then having a picture put on a mug may be a good idea.

I don't think there is any 'protocol' for this kind of thing. Your nanny is in effect resigning from the job, so I suppose it's a bit like having a collection at the office for a leaving gift - something to remember you and the children.

thebody Mon 13-Jul-09 17:50:12

what you have done sounds lovely and I ma sure she will be touched and pleased..

OhBling Mon 13-Jul-09 18:00:53

I think a good rule of thumb for employees who work in your home is always roughly what would be appropriate in an office. You wouldn't pay someone extra when they leave, but you totally would spend a decent amount of money on their leaving gift that is hopefully well thought out.

I'd say you've taken the exact right approach.

Ebb Mon 13-Jul-09 20:52:39

Giving money, although always welcome, is the easy option. I think you have obviously thought about what she likes and put some effort into it and think that is far nicer than a big bonus. I'd love concert tickets and a picture from my charges. I'm sure she'll be delighted. smile

specialk1215 Mon 13-Jul-09 21:35:34

Thank you all for your thoughts! I love the idea of the picture on a mug. I may even do one for myself!

I now feel much better about what I am giving her. Thanks again everyone.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 14-Jul-09 09:36:52

a framed picture and then something made by children whether a mug or those pottery places are always a nice touch - and one that the parent has made time over

money/bonus is also nice and yes i have bonus's when i leave jobs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now