Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

occasional childcare overnight required when travelling for work... is it done? or am I am being silly?

(18 Posts)
exrebel Sat 11-Jul-09 10:11:46

I am a single parent looking for a new job and many jobs in my field require to travel outside London and staying in a hotel for one night very occasionally.

I have no family around I could ask so I am thinking of a childcare solution which would allow me to apply for these jobs. If this is not viable as an option I will stick to those jobs that don't require me to travel.

With the recession etc I am getting a bit desperate and many times jobs I ca apply for ask for people people that can work some weekends ad late evenings or travel to regional offices.

NannyBeth Sat 11-Jul-09 10:28:12

It is done! If you can accommodate a live in nanny or au pair then you can include it in the job description from the start (though you may need to pay extra for the overnights).

If you can't accommodate a live in, then you can probably do the same thing with a live out as long as it is only occasionally.

Your other option is to employ temporary nannies for the times you are away.

Hope you work out the best option for you and best of luck in your job search!

lisad123 Sat 11-Jul-09 10:42:24

you could always ask if anyone is up for it on here or nanny sites? I would happily do it, but Im in Herts and Im sure some lovely other mums could do it too.
Could you ask if friends have a babysitter you could use? I used to do overnights alot when I was younger.

Or isnt there a proffessional babysitting angency around too?

drinkyourmilk Sat 11-Jul-09 10:52:50

I'm sure i've read of some childminders doing it too. Could be completely wrong though. Not very helpful - sorry.

TheIronLady Sat 11-Jul-09 11:14:00

Yes thinks it's viable. I am a childminder and am registered for overnight care, I have also cared for children in the evenings and weekends. There are lots of childminders who offer evening/overnight or weekend care but the rates are usually higher. As already stated, there are lots and lots of childminders on here. There is a thread somewhere on here listing available childminders, have a look and see if your area is covered and have a chat with a couple to see how viable it is.

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 11-Jul-09 11:27:22

many nannys (myself included) do over night work

would you know the days/nights in advance

how often are you talking about when need over night care - once a week/month etc

It is possible and many nannies would offer this ad-hoc arranagement would be a good idea to have 2 nannies you can call on for this.

I offer just this but am in the east midlands.

expect to pay around £75-£100 for a 12hr night for a nanny to come to your home

a childminder having child/ren in their own home would be around £50 plus.

exrebel Sat 11-Jul-09 13:41:32

this is really encouraging news, thank you!! I will apply for these jobs then and explain to employer that I will need to arrange for childcare for when staying away overnight so I need to know well in advance. I use sitters for baby sitter so I am happy to use an agency or I can look for local childminders/nannies that offer this service.

When I get the right job, I will also advetise here in the right thread. I live in London SE1 so if anyone in the area see this, please contact me.

Mumsnet is priceless, thank you all for the suggestion

AtheneNoctua Sat 11-Jul-09 15:22:29

I wouldn't tell them that at the interview. I wouldn't say anything about being single or having children. I'd just say I was available for travel. If they specifically asked about short notice you could tell them then but I'd add that you have someone you can call on at relatively short notice (even if you don't). And then when the time comes you'll just have to sort something out. Otherwise they will probably give the job to the married man whose wife doesn't work.

nannynick Sat 11-Jul-09 16:53:05

When I was younger (gosh that makes me sound old) I used to do ah-hoc overnight care for a few families... two mum's were nurses, another worked for a phone company - so they were all doing shift work involving night work. They knew in advance when they would need me... though sometimes it could be at short notice, if say their partner was supposed to be covering the night but had to work.
At the time I was a student so the hours fitted... I could do the overnight care (including taking a child to school) then continue on my way to college.
So you may find that this type of work suits a student... at the time I was in my 20's and doing a childcare course. So could be worth giving local (newsagents window) advertising a go, as well as internet advertising.

Agree with Athene, avoid mentioning children at all if possible.

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 11-Jul-09 16:58:14

def dont mention your children - just say if asked that yes you have them and have childcare sorted

bet men never get asked if they have children

so thats probably sexist!!

i do some nights for an air hostess- she knows her rota 6weeks in advance so books me in if i can do them

Oligo Sat 11-Jul-09 23:04:58

Hi exrebel, i am occasionally available for overnight care and could possibly be put in your bank of childcarers (i'm a nanny). i don't do CAT but you can email me for more details:

nextoutrage AT yahoo DOT co DOT uk

If poss. let me know on here if you have emailed, as i don't check this yahoo account v. often.

Also saw an east london night nanny advertising on here recently.

exrebel Mon 13-Jul-09 17:04:36

Hi everyone, thank you for the useful advice. I am in SE1 and my email is bulargiu @ btinternet DOT com. If anyone in my area can do nights, email me details so I can keep you as reference for future needs. Oligo i will email you shortly.

I have just had to say no to an interview for a very good job because it required me to work 9 to 5.30/6pm every day and I would never make it back in my area before 6.30/7 depending on trains. Too late for childminders or afterschool club. also I would feel bad leaving my daughter so late. I asked for earlier hours but they have already people there who are working the early hours (other mums I suppose). I am so gutted. The travel seems now easier to sort out than the daily routine.

I guess I have to be patient, but it was hard to let go this ideal job!

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 13-Jul-09 17:45:56

most nannies are happy to work to 6.30.7pm

have you thought about getting a nanny to do a school pick up?

exrebel Mon 13-Jul-09 21:38:42

no, I haven't thought of a nanny. I thought it would cost much more than I can afford. And do I get tax credit towards the cost? ShouldmI look into this further?

AtheneNoctua Mon 13-Jul-09 21:56:49

My nanny works 6:30-7:00. ANother idea is an au pair / childminder combination. Childminder could do bulk of normal childcare hours and au pair could do say the childcare run/bath in the evening. And you could do the drop off in the morning.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 14-Jul-09 08:32:59

i dont know anything about tax credits, but if your compnays supports the childcare voucher scheme, then you could employ an ofsted registered nanny which would help you on costs

most after school care nannys are normally mums theirselves, so would you be happy to have a nanny with own child to come to your house?

frAKKINPannikin Tue 14-Jul-09 21:12:09

You can get tax credits for nannies if you're within the earnings brackets and nanny is registered. Don't rule anything out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now