Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Angry with Sitters.co.uk

(18 Posts)
StarlightMcKenzie Thu 09-Jul-09 15:02:55

Message withdrawn

nanny2008 Thu 09-Jul-09 15:32:40

You could try www.findasitter.co.uk

Numberfour Thu 09-Jul-09 17:51:51

i was also highly peed off with sitters when they cancelled my contract with them to babysit, because i had cancelled 8 babysitting sessions. yes yes yes that is NOT great. but did it matter that 2 of them were when my mother died? nope!

Numberfour Thu 09-Jul-09 17:57:29

sorry, starlight: off on my own rant there.

blush

nannynick Thu 09-Jul-09 18:44:34

You could find one or two local childcarers instead of using an agency. You may find that it actually costs less, as you won't be paying booking fees or membership fee.

You can look for local childcarers online, or offline (such as by putting a postcard sized advert in local shop/newsagent/postoffice window).

Online wise:
NannyJob: Babysitter Search is the only site I can think of which is free (at least I think it is still free for this type of job).

www.findababysitter.com and www.findasitter.co.uk are both quite low cost, though on neither website could I quickly see what payment forms they accept.

Did sitters.co.uk tell you why they would only accept payment via two specific cards? I expect they were credit cards, not debit. I do wonder why they don't take other forms of payment... Not taking AmEx is quite usual in the UK, but not taking a debit card is more unusual (when I worked in retail, debit cards cost less to process than credit cards).

Millarkie Thu 09-Jul-09 19:28:45

I don't like the way that when you cancel (which we did when we got a nanny and then rejoined for the year we didn't have a nanny then cancelled when we got an au pair) they still take the next quarter's membership fee from your account.. they did it to us both times. And we never had the same sitter twice and most of them seemed annoyed to have to come because they lived quite far away (was when petrol prices really high). It felt as if they were under pressure not to turn down work via sitters so felt that they had to take the job.
Hope you can find someone local, we found a great sitter (a granny) via the parish magazine. You could try your local gumtree.com

juneybean Thu 09-Jul-09 19:45:21

I'm listed on www.childcare.co.uk not sure how much you have to pay though!

GiraffesCanRunA10k Thu 09-Jul-09 19:46:59

Have heard so many bad things about them I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

CharlieandLolasMum Thu 09-Jul-09 19:50:06

Where are you starlight?

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 09-Jul-09 20:00:28

Message withdrawn

nannynick Thu 09-Jul-09 20:53:41

My pleasure grin
This section of Mumsnet is where I can often be found.

BottySpottom Fri 10-Jul-09 13:17:00

Giraffes - have you heard bad things about the babysitters themselves, or the way they are run?

SammyK Fri 10-Jul-09 15:57:23

Interesting, have often wondered about sitters.

I agree finding someone local probably better in the long run than going through an agency like this.

Have a look on the babysitters thread on here maybe someone local to you on there.

I joined sitters as a babysiter and then never did any babysitting as got alot of private work that paid better so they crossed me off their books.

EyePeam Fri 10-Jul-09 20:18:37

i used them for a bit - they were ok but not fab. had one very odd instance where the lady called to say she was on her way but never turned up and I never did get an explanation (though did get the booking fee refunded).

I had one fab sitter, one terrible one and a couple of nice but nothing special ones - and yes it was very hard to get the same person regularly. gave up the subs when it became clear that as ds' bedtime was getting a bit later he would not be tolerating random people turning up - was ok when he would be asleep and highly unlikely to wake while I was out.

was also v annoyed about the payment card issue (they don't take debit cards or Amex) and found the 4 hour minimum restricting as sometimes you just want to go out locally for a couple of hours and a responsible local teenager would be a better option for that sort of sitting need imo.

SarahLondon1 Sun 19-Jul-09 19:48:54

You could also try www.childcare.co.uk

gigglinggoblin Sun 19-Jul-09 19:52:10

you could try local childminders

http://www.childcarelink.gov.uk/

kkey21 Sun 19-Jul-09 20:48:56

Hi Starlight-pretty sure i am near you? Sorry to hear about your experience with Sitters. I have been registered with them for years and years and not once since i signed up (1997 i think) have i had to prove any CRB checks or anything. I babysit for a few families and have a solid 12 years in Childcare. I am also Mum to two young children. Do contact me if you would like to discuss babysitting. Obviously i can provide my CRB and references.

kje1979@hotmail.co.uk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now