Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How much to pay a babysitter?

(10 Posts)
EllaAndTheDolphins Tue 07-Jul-09 20:36:00

I've found a girl to do occasional babysitting for my 7 month old DD. She's an NVQ3 student, 17 years old, really keen to work with children. She wouldn't be in sole charge at first, I'd be around - it's just so I can get other things done a couple of hours a week. If all works out and she's responsible I MAY consider using her for us to have an evening out one day in the future.

I'd like to chance to offer this to a local student for her to get some much-needed experience, and she does seem very keen.

I asked her how much she charges and she said she's open to offers. I have no idea having never employed a babysitter before.

We live in an area where Sitters fees are £5.75 an hour, a childminder asks £3.30ish and a qualified nanny charges about £7.50 an hour. (I know - I am one.)

I don't want to take the piss and offer her a paltry amount, but at the same time she's only really babysat for family before. However, she has a CRB check and has worked in a few nurseries for college placements.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

nannynick Tue 07-Jul-09 20:43:49

I feel it's up to her to tell you how much she wants to be paid... that's how it usually is with babysitting.

NMW for a 17 year old seems to be £3.53, rising to £4.77 when aged 18.

Sitters fee isn't £5.75 an hour, as sitters charges membership and booking fees on top, so it can make comparison hard. A childminder may charge £3.30 an hour but that is per child and they could be caring for quite a lot of children from various families at the same time... so again not a comparison in my view.

I'd say offer £5 an hour and see what she says.

I would suggest £5 an hr I run babysitting course for 13-18yr olds and this is what we suggest to the 16-18yr olds who have completed the babysitting course and many are doing some kind of childcare course as well at college.

Maybe suggest £4 an hr whilst she having shared care and then when she has sole charge whilst you are out £5 an hr and then say once she has completed her NVQ you are willing to raise it to £5.50/£6.

EllaAndTheDolphins Tue 07-Jul-09 21:44:35

Thanks Nick. I wasn't putting childminders and Sitters fees as a comparison, more to make the point that childcare wages round here are slightly below the norm.

She was quite adamant that I should decide how much she should be paid. I hate negotiating monies!

The NMW link is very useful, thank you.

Page62 Wed 08-Jul-09 13:09:39

looking at this, i realise how much more expensive it is in london
we pay a sitter £10/hour -- and don't feel too bad as she insists on taking the tube on the way home - normally, families are expected to pay for a cab fare home.
or have i been made to believe this is the case? to be fair, she is 25 and works as a nanny

LupusinaLlamasuit Wed 08-Jul-09 13:19:19

I just paid 8 quid an hour for our first ever non-family babysitter.

But she had two, not in bed, including demanding toddler, bathed them both and got them ready for bed. And she was a senior nursery nurse roomleader in whose room the toddler is, so helped that he knew her.

It was brilliant, and I was very happy to leave them with her (experienced etc...)

I wouldn't pay so much to someone without all the experience, qualifications etc..

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 08-Jul-09 13:25:55

page62 - i feel that if you babysit then you can make your own way there and back and not charge parents for a taxi etc

ella - as she is under 18, i feel that £4 is fine and if all is great with her to rise to £5 at a later date

Page62 Wed 08-Jul-09 17:08:02

Blondeshavemorefun - i take your point. i think we just feel bad making her take the tube if we had dinner out and didn't get back till 1030/1100 IYSWIM. I can't drive and my DH can't drive them back because he would have had something to drink.....

needless to say, we don't do it often as it is quite expensive!

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 08-Jul-09 18:39:06

as long as your knows what time you are meant to be back, then they can decide if they want to bs for you and make their own way own

i also charge £10ph but i drive and also not in london

malfoy Wed 08-Jul-09 18:47:59

we pay £7.50 per hour + fare home + leave a tenner for dinner.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now