Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

KatyMac and other childminders with assistants please can I have some advice?

(7 Posts)
Enthusia Mon 06-Jul-09 18:48:30

Hi, thanks for reading!

I already employ one assistant, that being my mum and we work with my 2 under 4's and 3 other under 4's although we only actually have 4 under 4's at any one time.

At time of inspection, and change of registration, the inspector asked me how many children I would be caring for and that was what went on my certificate. Can I actually have more under 4's though?

I would like to expand and employ another assistant, who has a 3 year old herself, and get 1 - 2 more children but I am not sure how to go about this.

With myself and 2 assistants how many under 5's would we be allowed?

We want to knock through into our outbuilding/current study for more room but are stuck in a situation of numbers and financing to deciding whether it is viable.

Please help!!!!

Katymac I know you have a number of assistants and a similar situation. How do you find it? Would you say it is worth expanding, financially and from an enjoyment point of view?

Thanks Enthusia

nannynick Mon 06-Jul-09 19:10:52

EY332496
"when working with two assistants, may care for no more than 12 children under 8 years; of these, not more than 9 may be under 5 years, and of these, not more than 3 may be under 1 year at any one time.(Early Years Register, compulsory part of the Childcare register)"

"when working with two assistants at addresses (b), may care for a total of no more than 15 children under 8 years; of these, not more than 9 may be in the early years age group, and of these, not more than 3 may be under 1 year at any one time (Early Years Register, compulsory part of the Childcare Register)"

Google Search to find more like the above

Looks to me as if it will vary. I expect the space available is a factor taken into consideration.

Could you draw up some basic plans for the extension, then submit those to Ofsted telling them that you would also have another assistant and seeing if they will give an indication of how many children they may permit.

Enthusia Mon 06-Jul-09 19:16:47

Brilliant Nannynick, why didn't I think of doing a google search!!!!!

Good idea about the plans too.

Is it ok to ring your inspector? We got on very well and she said she was happy to give advice but wasn't sure if that was the right way of doing things?

Katymac Mon 06-Jul-09 19:18:42

Nick - she needs to contact her early years team - they can (should be able to) advise rather than OFSTED

It's complicated tbh & right now isn't a good time for me - sorry

I'll get in touch when I can or you can find my email addy & email me & I'll put it into my pending folder

Thee is a lot of work not getting done atm sorry

Enthusia Mon 06-Jul-09 19:20:32

Thanks Katymac! Hope you get on top of it soon!!!

nannynick Mon 06-Jul-09 19:21:27

Probably best to write or e-mail for the attention of the inspector. Then the inspection team can forward the e-mail on to the inspector and the inspector can take a look at their convenience.

When looking at the google results, you want to avoid those which are Childcare On Domestic Premises - as that is a different category of care. Look at the ones where the green URL text ends /Childminders

Some childminders have other childminders working with them (such as KatyMac). They may have a different ratio than a childminder working with one or two assistants.

atworknotworking Mon 06-Jul-09 19:27:10

I've been looking into this as well, I already work with an assistant (DH smile, we are reg'd for 9 under 8, 2 of which can be under 12mths, however at our last inspection we were told that we could up it, I was happy as we were but now thinking about a change, but anyway thats a different story... so I think what Nannynick says is correct (isn't he always - smashing bloke) it depends on situation and space, if you have a look at the early years reg info it tells you how much space you need for each child depending on age starts at 2.5m sq for under 1, then it's 2.3m sq (i think) and so on over 8's obv not listed as are volountary reg.

You will have to show how you will manage the day to day in's and out's like schhol / nursery runs as you must always be within ratio when working together and indipendantly and bear in mind assistants can only be in sole charge when out of the premises with one of the registers and will need first aider in the premises at all times, I think also that they must be at least level 3 qual for 50% of staff. Has been giving me a logistical headache I am a simple soul blush.

KatyMac is definately the person to ask.

<<waves madly to KM>>
<<hope DH doing ok x >>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now