Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Live-in Nanny interview - what to wear to give good impression ??

(5 Posts)
pixiella Mon 06-Jul-09 11:19:38

I'm going for a sort of informal live-in Nanny position - basically the lady who's children I nanny for now has recommended me to her friend as I need somewhere to live in London from September onwards while I am at University and they need someone to help with the kids at bathtimes and mornings because they've just had a new baby.
I spoke to the husband and he offered me the room for free (just have to buy my own food) and in exchange they want help with bathtimes and mornings.

But apparently (according to the lady I nanny for now) although the husband is very laid back, his wife is quite uptight and a bit strict. I know it's an informal interview but looking after someone's children and living in their house is still a very serious and important role so I want to give off the right impression and I don't want the wife to feel threatened by having a young student living with her....?? Do you know what I mean?

So outfit choices.....? I have no idea ! I'm studying fashion so skinny jeans + pretty top + blazer or dress + tights is my usual uniform but I don't have very many 'formal' or smart clothes in my wardrobe at the moment, apart from waitressing gear !

Help would be VERY much appreciated. For example what would be the WORST outfit/image that a potential Aupair/nanny could wear which would make you not want her to live with you ?

Thanks xxx

nickschick Mon 06-Jul-09 11:21:36

I think id wear skinny jeans with a dress over the top - not revealing not too funky but young and bright.

Good Luck.

nannyL Mon 06-Jul-09 13:32:40

agree with above...

BUT i think you are being exploited as you are not being paid AND buying your own food...

au pairs typically do 25 hours a week, get some money (maybe £60+ a week) AND get all of their food included. + travel card and often other perks.

You will be doing say 20 hours a week? 2 in the morning 2 in the evening, NOT getting paid at all and providing your own food.

Obviously its up to you what you are happy with, just trying to put it in perspective for you smile

pixiella Mon 06-Jul-09 13:39:33

thanks for the replies...

nannyL, I didn't think about that...I will have to clarify what the hours are and the food arrangements at the interview.

I think because they are friends of my current employer they are just thinking of it as helping me out as I need somewhere to stay close to where I will be going to Uni (zone 2, london) so instead of paying like £400-500/month for rent i'll get a room for free in exchange for babysitting - again I don't know if they want me to work 5 days a week or maybe less. I'll see. But thanks for pointing that out, I didn't think it was a bad deal but that has made me think twice.

woodstock3 Tue 07-Jul-09 16:13:57

not sure whether this is a good deal or not as dunno about au pairs
but on the dress point, i just want to see nannies wearing something that indicates they could run around with kids (ie not teetering heels) and something vaguely respectable (ie not something slashed to the crotch) but otherthan that not bothered, my nanny normally wears jeans and a tshirt.
i dont think im uptight and strict tho grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now