Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

part-time nannies, how does it work?

(13 Posts)
insywinsyspider Sun 05-Jul-09 21:44:59

Its early days, ds3 is only 3 wks old, but if I go back to work next June I have 3 children needing full time childcare, ds1 doesn't start school till Sept 2010.
I'd only want to go back to work 3 days a week, tues, wed, thurs, so can you get part time nannies? I've only used a CM and nursery before and it looks like I'll struggle to get places for 3 children at the same time.
Where do you look? how much does it cost? any other practicalities to consider? are there registered bodies, checks etc?
sorry for basic questions I really have no idea
thanks

nannyL Sun 05-Jul-09 22:09:45

yes... there are lots of nannies who work part time... some combine jobs to make 5 days a week where as others feel that 3 or 4 12 hour days with no break are enough and like to do that

(maybe leaving time for study or ad hoc babysitting etc for other famikies)

For an experianced qualified nanny you are looking at £10+ gross per hour, though a younger inexperianced person may ask for less money.

you could spend a fortune and use an agency OR advertise on gumtree / net mums / nanny job and filter the applicants yourself (bear in mind you will probably get LOTS of unsuitable applicants and just a handful of seriouse candidates, but doing this should save you £1000+ of agency fees)

nbee84 Sun 05-Jul-09 22:10:40

I'm a part time nanny that works a 3 day week - in fact I know quite a few part timers.

Cost wise you would pay by the hour - rates vary hugely depending on where you are but could be from £7ph gross to £12ph gross. It doesn't matter that you have 3 children - costs are the same whether it is 1, 2, 3 or more.

Make sure you agree a gross rate of pay rather than net as the nanny could have or get another job for the 2 days that she doesn't work for you and you don't want to be stung paying tax on her whole salary.

Nannies can go onto the voluntary Ofsted register - vital if you or your dh get childcare vouchers through work.

A couple off benefits of having a nanny over a cm or nursery (particularly with 3 children) are that yyou do not have to get all the children up, dressed and breakfasted before you leave for work - nanny can do that. When your oldest starts school nanny will do the school run (if you had a cm you would have to find one that would do pickups from your choice of school) Nanny will do child related chores - such as childrens washing (some iron) changing their beds and keeping any rooms that they use clean and tidy.

nbee84 Sun 05-Jul-09 22:34:26

Another big plus is that they can get them all bathed and smelling sweet in their pyjamas ready for when you get home so that you can spend a lovely hour or so with them at the end of the day playing or reading stories etc smile

sleepyeyes Mon 06-Jul-09 01:56:46

Hi as everyone else has said there are many part time nannies.
Pay from live out nannies is usually by the hour this can range widely from area to area in Scotland it could be £6 per hour in London it could be £10 per hour. But you pay as a family and not per child so if you have more than one child it can work out a lot cheaper.

I would recommend the nannyjob.co.uk website for general information, you can also put up an ad and look at nanny CVs. If your finding a nanny yourself then I would advice using them rather than somewhere like Gumtree as most people on nannyjob are professional nannies.

If a nanny wasn't registered then I would at least expect her to have a first aid certificate and CBR and of course excellent references.

nannynick Mon 06-Jul-09 07:27:57

3-Day per week nannies certainly exist. I've done a nanny job that was 3 days per week in the past... did nursery temping on other days.

AskNannyNick has some info for parents thinking of employing a nanny, such as paying a nanny (PAYE), childcare vouchers, recruitment, holidays etc.
You will also find a lot of information on this section of Mumsnet (advance search can be used to limit search of Mumsnet to just this section).

The cost of three under 5's places at nursery or at a childminders could well be more than the cost of a nanny. Also getting those places may be tricky, as a CM is often limited to 3 under 5 places. However one big advantage of a nanny over other forms of childcare when you have 3+ children, is that the nanny comes to your home... you don't need to get 3 children up, dressed, fed first thing in the morning. There are negatives of course, such as you will be an employer and need to operate PAYE.

>Where do you look?
www.nannyjob.co.uk is the most popular website for nannies looking for jobs in my view. An advert there costs around £20 for a month.
Local advert in a newsagents window can work, as can word-of-mouth... ask around at toddler groups for example.

>how much does it cost?
Salary can vary, £7-£12 gross per hour, dependent on your location. To that you add Employers NICs (see details on PAYE).
There are then other additional costs such as a weekly petty-cash kitty for nanny to use to entertain your children, the cost of food (nannies get food whilst on duty), heating/lighting as your home will be used during the day. If nanny uses their own car, then mileage payments are 40p per mile for first 10,000 miles per year.

>any other practicalities to consider?
How will nanny transport 3 children, particularly 3 under 5's who all need car seats. Fitting 3 car seats in a small car can be fun. Travelling with 3 children on public transport can be a lot of fun!
Buggies - I'd suggest making the older two children walk. Far easier having a single buggy rather than a double.
Sickness - children can be sick, a nursery or CM won't care for sick children... but a nanny does. Depending on the seriousness of the illness, you would want to care for your sick child yourself. Nannies themselves get sick - so be prepared for using some of your holiday entitlement from work to cover nannies sick days (many nannies seem to have very few days off sick, so don't panic about this).

>are there registered bodies, checks etc?
In England, Nannies can be registered by Ofsted (Ofsted registration means that you can use Childcare Vouchers and means that the nanny meets a minimum standard). Guide to Ofsted Childcare Register (Nannies)

Nannies should have an Enhanced Criminal Record check - this is done as part of the Ofsted registration. Nannies not Ofsted registered can get this check done via a Nanny Agency. In 2010 there is to be a new system called Independent Safeguarding Authority who will be doing continuously updated CRB checks... all childcare workers will have to be on the ISA register, though the date when it becomes compulsory may be many years away (suspect it will remain voluntary for nannies for a long time).

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 06-Jul-09 09:43:31

i work 3days and LOVE it - i do ad hoc/temp on other days or relax and have a pub lunch with friends

cost wise having a nanny will def be cheaper, as others said, a nanny charges per hr/day the same amount regardless of 1 or 3 children

the big bonus's of nannys is that they will look after ill children (cm and nursery wont) and also you only need to get yourself up and dressed instead of getting all of you up and out of the door, plus some will bath (my mb likes to bath her own 3, so she can have a chat with them)

think nick covered the crb.checks stuff

and congrats btw on new bubba - 3weeks awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww so ickle smile

insywinsyspider Mon 06-Jul-09 21:48:15

thank you so much for your replies, its all very positive towards getting a nanny provided we find the right one smile

the only thing I worry about is that I love the nursery environment for the children, I didn't think my CM did enough for ds1 once he got to about 2.5yrs but he has really thrived with all the activity at nursery, its easier for them to do messy play, music etc. I struggle to do that with my 3yr old and 18mo and baby... its so difficult to judge having never used a nanny! I guess I'm trying to balance out the practicalities with what the kids would get most out of

insywinsyspider Mon 06-Jul-09 21:50:01

also forgot to ask - contracts? how do they work/how do I get one drawn up? do nannies tend to work on fixed term contracts or regular one with fixed period for notice and a probation period?

limonchik Mon 06-Jul-09 21:50:08

Your 3yo will get a free nursery place for 12.5 hours a week though won't he? Nanny can drop him off and pick him up.

nbee84 Mon 06-Jul-09 21:52:52

Advertis for a creative, messy play, active nanny and maybe forgo the nanny duties like washing and bed changing so that she has time for them.

I always make sure my charges days are busy and fun.

insywinsyspider Fri 10-Jul-09 18:58:39

limonchik - ds1 will be in pre-school, ds2 will be 2.5yrs, I think I'm more worried bout him being entertained as that was the age ds1 got really bored at CM's

another question - how far in advance do you go about looking for and hiring a nanny? the whole telling work a date I need to be going back and sorting out childcare thing is a bit chicken and egg and I'm worried about having the money to pay for nanny before I'm getting paid myself

nannynick Fri 10-Jul-09 23:16:25

How far in advance to look? Well it varies depending on who you ask. Some of us nannies have applied and accepted jobs 3 months ahead, so the parents were looking 4 or 5 months ahead. Nannies in work may be on 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, 2 months, or a school terms notice... so given the amount of notice some nannies need to give their current employer, you could be finalising things a good month or more in advance.

I would say start looking 5 months before you need someone to start but indicate in any advert the prospective start date. Then come around 10 weeks before the start date, increase advertising if by that point you haven't found a suitable nanny.

It is a bit chicken and egg when it comes to payment. Childcare Vouchers if using those can also mess up initial payment, as you may not get the voucher until the end of your first month of work... and it then takes a while to be processed. If using vouchers, pay the nanny month 1, use month 1's voucher to pay nanny month 2.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now