Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Need some advice please. . .

(11 Posts)
Elliea123 Thu 02-Jul-09 23:29:02

I have been minding a child for 5 months on a full time basis. The mother has always been quite unreliable when it comes to payment and if the child wasn't so sweet, I may have considered ending our agreement before now!! However, today when she collected the child, she said, she will not need me from next week as her training has finished and she won't be kept on after this. My problem is I know she is not going to pay the 4 weeks notice as agreed in the contract. Has anyone been in this situation before? I really need some advice, don't want to fall out with them as my daughter has become very fond of the child.
I am thinking of writing her a letter, reminding her of what was agreed with regards to notice period and payments etc . . . . HELP, please.

nannynick Fri 03-Jul-09 07:30:17

Write out the final bill now, detailing what is owed. Give it to her today.
Make sure she knows when you expect payment.

Elliea123 Fri 03-Jul-09 07:51:44

I have just printed out a letter detailing the terms of the contract with regards to terminating the placement, and emphisized the fact that the contract is a legal document and though I do not want to take the matter further, it is an option.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 03-Jul-09 09:01:43

good luck

Oligo Fri 03-Jul-09 09:11:16

agree with nannynick. You might know that she isn't going to pay but unless she has actually said it act like you wouldn't expect her not to pay and invoice her. Give it in a friendly 'oh and i've just prepared your final bill' way.

I wouldn't mention contract/worries that she wouldn't pay at this stage. This itself could damage your relationship since she could claim/feel insulted that you doubted that she would pay you.

Doubting that she would pay you when she hasn't actually said that could come across unprofessional.

Elliea123 Fri 03-Jul-09 17:18:11

Well, I gave her the letter this morning and she has just collected the child with a "copy" of a letter that she claims to have posted to me giving the 4 weeks notice. Obviously I never recieved the letter in question, as I imagine she just wrote it today to try and get out of paying, funny how she didn't enquire if I had got her letter!!!
What to do now???

lisad123 Fri 03-Jul-09 17:20:51

tell her that it still stands and if she felt you had recieved the letter, she would have nbeeded to tell you yesterday.

Oligo Fri 03-Jul-09 23:44:35

did you ask why she didn't just give you the letter instead of posting it?

does she has proof of postage? is proof of delivery/receipt required in these circumstances?

forget your relationship, it sounds like you don't trust her anyway.

nannyL Sat 04-Jul-09 00:00:47

agree... if she sees you regularly then of course she wouldnt post it.

tell her that 4 weeks notice is due and you expect it by Xdate

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 04-Jul-09 16:30:09

def sounds suss

why on earth would she post you something, when sees you daily/weekly hmm

Elliea123 Mon 06-Jul-09 12:19:08

Thanks everyone, I am going to send her another letter today, saying that the 4 weeks notice is due by the end of this month, otherwise I will take it further. Wish me luck!! I'll let you know what happens.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now