Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

employers liability insurance for nannies

(10 Posts)
sophinleeds Thu 02-Jul-09 11:44:07

I am about to employ a nanny for the first time. As I am in a rented house I cannot get employers liability insurance through my household insurers. Does anyone know an insurance company that could help? Standard business insurers are not interested.

nannynick Thu 02-Jul-09 12:23:38

Have you tried DirectLine? Call for a Household Contents Insurance quote. Then ask to check it includes Employers Liability for domestic staff.

AtheneNoctua Thu 02-Jul-09 15:13:19

Why would you need employers liability insurance in a rented home? What liability would it protect you from?

MrVibrating Thu 02-Jul-09 19:57:50

Rented or owned, it doesn't matter. If your nanny suffers an injury or illness while working for you and it is at least partly your fault, she may have a claim against you.

And the law says you must have insurance cover of at least £5m in respect of any such claim.

sophinleeds, this is usually included under the contents part of home insurance so it's nothing to do with renting. If your existing insurer says they won't cover it, cancel your policy with them (make sure you get a refund for the remainder of the year) and move somewhere that does. It doesn't have to be Direct Line smile.

AtheneNoctua Fri 03-Jul-09 17:13:32

I don't think I can type to someone called "MrVibrating" with a straight face. wink

MrVibrating Sat 04-Jul-09 00:40:49

Well I wanted to be MrAnchovy, but when I joined Mumsnet there was already someone called Anchovy to whom I am definitely not married and I didn't want to cause confusion.

So working along the same lines I chose MrVibrating, but in retrospect I should have considered more fully all interpretations of this name blush.

Now Anchovy has flounced for some clandestine clique (with, I believe, my real life DW) and hasn't posted since the 9th December, so maybe it's time to claim my rightful moniker.

Or do you like it as it is grin?

AtheneNoctua Sat 04-Jul-09 16:07:30

Oh, your RL DW has run off with the mouldies and now you are MNer. That's interesting.

MrAnchovy Sat 04-Jul-09 21:04:11

Well I was on MN for a couple of years before the mouldies flounced, and I know she still drops by here a little [waves] ...

jura Sun 05-Jul-09 19:12:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sophinleeds Mon 06-Jul-09 22:13:22

the problem with my insurance is that it is a company that deals specifically with tenants and they don't do employers liability. As no one will do the liability insurance separately I am going to change to a company that can do both. cheers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now