Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How far ahead do you recruit your next AP?

(9 Posts)
Julesnobrain Wed 01-Jul-09 22:33:32

New AP just started. seems really nice Just gone to update profile in AP world for next AP in Jan 2010 and got an applicant..... was a bit taken aback .. was not going to start looking till Nov (need start date of Jan 2010) but got me thinking.. would Nov be leaving it a bit late?? how far ahead do your recruit your AP's (Bearing in mind I only do 6 month contacts). Comments welcome. Thanks

Julesnobrain Wed 01-Jul-09 22:35:59

Sorry typo mean contracts.. had a glass of vino Oophs wink

DadInsteadofMum Thu 02-Jul-09 10:10:16

This time left profile up 9 months ahead, started activily recruiting 6 months ahead and had somebody recruited 2.5 months ahead.

Last time, put profile up and started actively recruiting 2 months ahead, started to panic and email everybody on APW (APs, families administrators) 1 months ahead. Conducting an interview a day 2 weeks ahead. Recruited someboidy 2 days before old AP left, new AP arrived 10 days later.

I know which approach I prefered.

PixiNanny Thu 02-Jul-09 13:53:01

I'm looking for January to March start jobs now Though I also know that some people don't start recruiting until later on. I'd say give it at least 3 months though! I'd rather go with a prepared family than one who doesn't seem to have it organised, but at the same time I wouldn't finalise anything until 3 months before start date as there may be different and better offers out there!

Totallyfloaty35 Thu 02-Jul-09 14:02:41

Already got my Aupair for Feb 2010 booked.She was booked from May.She has her flight booked and we email each other every week or so,but she is Australian and they need more notice.Have found that recruiting to early can work against you though as plenty of time for situations to change and for them to change their mind.

PixiNanny Thu 02-Jul-09 14:41:18

I think that the majority of girls would find their perfect families early on in their search so the backing out thing isn't a garenteed, just to add onto my post where I said about better offers lol If I were looking for a single AP job I'd probably find a perfect one for me (with the outdoor pursuits, etc) quite easily, but as I'm looking for me and partner, I may end up finding a family we're more suited too later on (like I'd tae any job now, but later on I may be offered the chance to work for a fam abroad who can garentee a weekend paddling session or sailing or climbing which would be better for us)...

Just to clarify so I don't seem like a flake grin

Millarkie Thu 02-Jul-09 17:29:05

Found first AP in May for an Aug/Sept start, next one found in late Oct for a Jan/Feb start, next found in Jan for a June start but pulled out in April, replacement found in April (within 3 weeks) for a June start.
I updated our start date on APworld to Mar 2010 in April 09 and got applicant imediately! I do not want to be committed to anyone yet, especially not before we had actually met current AP so have said No to obviously non-candidates and left the other messages (having learnt from our 'drop out' situation that once you say 'No' on APworld you can't change your mind and send a Yes.
Once I am certain that this AP should last the distance then I will be happier to make decisions about next one.

PixiNanny Thu 02-Jul-09 20:51:16

Why can you not change your mind on APWorld? Thats ridiculous! But then I think APWorld is ridiculous anyways, against couples and people with no particular destinatination in mind :P I attempted contact with them again an made OH a profile but they're ignoring me now...

I can't believe that some people are so well prepared to organise it so far in advance, but the I also can't believe that there are those who organise it with weeks to go as well grin I asked my boss how much notice she'd prefer me to give and she said three months so she has time to make profiles, find girls, interview them, etc. I'll tel her my end date in September, when I've had a chance to speak to OH about it properly, gives her loads of time and me too!

cheapskatemum Thu 02-Jul-09 21:38:12

3 months

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now