Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Ofsted called to see when I am in... and I havnt and will not be doing sef form..what do you think

(8 Posts)
thebody Wed 01-Jul-09 20:33:49

got the call today and am now checking all my paperwork, daily diaries, policies and proceedures, feedback forms, photos and obs but I havnt had the chance or the inclination to fill out my sef form.

I spend far too much time typing on the bloody computer anyway in the evening and the sef form seems like a complete waste of time to me anyway and not relevant.. I sef every day anyway, who doesnt...

Parents have all given me excellent on feedback forms, I am full and have a waiting list so bollocks to them..

I wont settle for anything less than good anyway...

am I too bolshy???

nannynick Wed 01-Jul-09 20:40:07

nah, be as bolshy as you like. Ofsted didn't used to do SEF, so do they really need it now?

MaureenMLove Wed 01-Jul-09 20:40:13

You go girl!! grin

Ofsted gave me a satisfactory a couple of years back, because my paperwork wasn't up to scratch. I don't mean basics, like consent forms, but all the other stuff.

I told her I didn't really care what she gave me. I'd been full for 10 years and all my families came on recommendation, so I must be doing something right!

The family of one of my mindees was disappointed for me and made me an outstanding badge and gave me flowers. That's the mark that mattered to me!!

Good luck!

The SEF isn't compulsory anyway - they can't 'mark you down' for not doing it. Mine took about 12 online bloody hours to complete - then inspector just 'lifted' info from it to put in inspection report hmm. It's supposed to cut down the length of the inspection, but mine was still 3hrs long!!!

Not bolshy my dear - just standing up for what you (and a lot of the rest of us!) think, that it's a waste of time.They'll probably scrap it on the next review anyway.... grin

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

thebody Wed 01-Jul-09 21:45:49

thank you all my dear mumsnetter friends feel great.. you are all totally right of course.. stuff them.. lol..now I am going to have a lovely cold glass of white wine....cheers..

DJGemini Sun 05-Jul-09 08:44:43

Hi
I'm interested to hear you feel that way, and others agree, I'm glad I'm not alone..
I'm literally cr@pping myself in case Ofsted call, to inspect me,
I've started my SEF, way back last year but never completed it, BUT.. with all the paperwork! planning, obs, files, accounts, diaries, etc etc, the actual Childminding - spending the time WITH the children, plus a family to run, studying for NVQ, and balance all that with some me timehmmwhats that..

I simply cannot see myself getting around to it !
I have excellent feedback from families, my DH says sod the inspection, you are fab, thanks blush BUT I still have sleepless nights about getting a low report, not having filled in a SEF, and in case paperwork not good enough,
Answer would be to crack on and make sure its spot on, but where are the hours in the day? ? Looking forward to my son starting school in Sept so I can spend more time on it - can't wait! hmm

Numberfour Sun 05-Jul-09 12:07:28

I had my inspectionon 9 June and had not done he SEF, though I had tried about 3 times to do it!

One thing I would recommend is to look at the form and check the headings because it is under those headings that you are inspected. If I had known exactly what she would be looking at i would have had some answers ready.

But, on the other hand, when the inspector rang, she said she wanted to look at my contracts, attendance register, accident and incident book, and any planning that I may have written down for the children. i was in such a state when she rang that I phoned her back a few days later to check what it was that she was going to concentrate on, so she told me again and that's what I did.

I was given Good and was delighted because I was graded Satisfactory at my last inspection.

It is nerve wracking being inspected but it will pass! if your inspection is pending, my next bit of advice would be to start getting your stuff in order!

thebody Sun 05-Jul-09 20:50:08

thanks numberfour thats good advice. Gemini totally agree with you I just literally dont have the time to do the bloody form, I work full time and am full, and i have to make time for my own kids in the evening and at weekends..

The thing is if my parents are all happy, and they are because I ask them, and the kids love coming, then what else is really important.. I could be great on paper but in reality a crap cm..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now