Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

....the cobwebs are gathering....

(5 Posts)
TheBreastmilksOnMe Mon 29-Jun-09 19:40:57

I started back CM from maternity leave beginning of May and its just sooooo quiet. I've only got one part-time and one starting full-time in September. I nearly had one full time starting today but when her mum came to pick her up this afternoon she told me she couldn't bring her anymore as she had just lost her job.

This is killing me. Please tell me it will pick up. Or is it me? Does nobody want me? <taking it personally> sad

Where are you. Round here [north east], it's the free breakfast clubs, after school clubs and wrap around nursery care that is killing off our business - because they are subsidised they can do it a hell of a lot cheaper than I can. I've been quiet for past 9mths, hence am now giving it up and looking for a job.

Don't take it personally, it's the nature of the business at the moment. Some areas are busy, others have more cms than children available.

Do the usual advertising - get yourself some free business cards, postcards etc from Vistaprint and do a drop on new estates etc.

Good luck smile

TheBreastmilksOnMe Mon 29-Jun-09 20:24:47

Hi I'm living in North West Wales- sorry to hear you're giving it up- it's a shame. I think there are about 10 CM's in my local area at the moment I will try popping some business cards about town as well as the posters I've put up.

atworknotworking Mon 29-Jun-09 20:58:58

underpaid dead right the clubs are making things really hard here too as well as the subsidised stuff, one of my mindees got a flyer tonight for holiday club care 8am - 5.30pm £15 per day shock who can afford to run with competition like that.

I went to a parent's meeting at my son's new school - he starts reception Sept - and the head teacher was pushing the various clubs, don't know if they get 'something' for referrals. Wasn't too chuffed, especially as she knows what I do [at the moment]. sad

I refuse to reduce my rates to a level that means I make no living out of it angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now