Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

can anyone tell me how much approx my niece should ask for nanny job in wimbledon

(19 Posts)
bigdonna Fri 26-Jun-09 11:33:11

hi my niece from newcastle is going to start looking for a NANNY JOB IN LONDON she has replied to a job in wimbledon which sounds very complicated but will work 8-7 5days a week what shoould she expect (i nannied for 16yrs)she has experience but not as nanny lots of babysitting and shes such a loving girl and brilliant with kids .please can someone give me an idea so when she comes up for interveiws she has an idea i live not far from wimbledon so would be nice for her to be near me!

LouLovesAeroplaneJelly Fri 26-Jun-09 13:22:31

Is it live in or out? Mostly depends on that really. Also the age of the children and the duties she will be expected to perform. Anywhere from 250 plus

bigdonna Fri 26-Jun-09 13:26:37

thanks for replyin she wants live in as never been away from home before.

AtheneNoctua Fri 26-Jun-09 13:49:25

Why would it depend on the children's ages? and the duties? Nannies are paid per hour, not per task.

If she is young (under 23) and has no proper nanny experience and not qualifications in nannying, and no University degrees, then she should expect around £250+ for a full time live in roll in this climate. I assume the 5 days are Mon-Fri.

I would expect around £250 for no nanny experience and being live in. does she have childcare qualifications, a crb? a first aid cert?

as sounds like she is more a mothers help type of person than a nanny having full time sole charge and may find herself up against some very experienced and very qualified nannies.

AtheneNoctua Fri 26-Jun-09 16:03:35

That's true, but those experienced and well qualified nannies won't be prepared to work for 250/week (and I mean that as a gross figure). SO, if she wants to break into nannying and is prepared to work for less, she could well find her opportunuty to get some experience and start building her CV.

frAKKINPannikin Fri 26-Jun-09 16:22:41

Well I'm of the opinion it's the employer who offers the salary.

She's being exploited if she works for less than £200 gross, £250 gross would be fair and £300 gross would be a good deal. If she can do an NVQ or something while she nannies then I'd advise her to take a small paycut this time for a big potential benefit later if she's serious.

It depends on her age, what she's done before, CRB, first aid, what extra she's willing to do to make herself really stand out etc.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 26-Jun-09 20:56:32

why is the job complicated?

the hours at 8-7 5 days a week sound normal

you say not as a nanny but as a babysitter for experience so assume she doesnt have any childcare quals/esp as a sole charge nanny

babysitting is very different from being sole charge of babies/young children

tbh i would say she would be jumping in at the deep end to do a job with those hours and no proper childcare/nannying exp

if she is serious about being a nanny then the first few jobs she may be on a very low wage, esp if live in as no min wage

purplesponge Sun 28-Jun-09 18:17:17

Have I got this right? Job is 11 hours a day, 5 days a week, so 55 hours a week. Even at £250 a week NET this works out at £4.54 an hour, which for a live out job, is illegal. Like Blondes said, if she lives in she will not be eligible for the minimum wage but I think even somebody very young and new to nannying deserves to earn at least £5 per hour!

I also agree with Blondes that nannying is totally different to babysitting, and not to be taken lightly. I already had loads of experience babysitting before I studied for my NNEB diploma and I also did a bit of nannying while I was studying but working as a full time nanny, day in, day out with a very young child was a totally new experience and I found I still had so much to learn!

Millarkie Sun 28-Jun-09 18:44:00

£250 a week net is approx £330 gross (according to nannytax website) so is £6 gross per hour for 55 hours NOT £4.54. National minimum wages are GROSS not Net.

AtheneNoctua Mon 29-Jun-09 09:15:32

I too agree with Blondes that nannying is totally different to occassional babysitting.

However, I disagree with your analysis on the pay. Minimum wage is a figure designed to be the minum one could realistically live on (rent, food, utilities, etc.). But a live-in employee has all of these things already paid. Presumably this is why they are exempt from minumum wage laws. If you want to compare a live out gross wage to live-in gross wage you would have to add onto the £250 the value of the rent, food, her share of utilities, gym membership, etc. And when you are finished with that math I think you will find the live-in nanny with £250 per week is a quite a bit better off then the live-out nanny with say £350 gross per week.

limonchik Mon 29-Jun-09 10:14:39

I'm sure I read somewhere recently that live-in employees aren't exempt from minimum wage exactly, it's that accomodation can be put towards making up minimum wage - but there's a limit on how much you can claim the accomodation is "worth". I'll try to look up the exact wording of it.

"Minimum wage is a figure designed to be the minum one could realistically live on" - not sure I agree with that! Even that right wing buffoon Boris Johnson accepts that £7.60 an hour is the minimum you need to live on in London. £5.75 is a poverty wage.

AtheneNoctua Mon 29-Jun-09 11:05:09

Of course that is the intent of it. Whether you feel it should be raised is another matter. But, the point of a minimum wage is to have figure which no one can legally work below. And, I assume, that the cost of living (rent, etc.) is a large part of the process which determines that figure.

From Direct.gov.uk:
Living in your employer’s household
If you are a member of your employer’s family, live in their home and help run a family business or help with household chores, you are not entitled to the NMW if you share in the family’s tasks and activities.

If you are not a member of your employer’s family but you live in their home and share in the household’s work and leisure activities, for example if you are an au pair, you are not entitled to the NMW.

SuperDuperJezebel Tue 30-Jun-09 14:42:58

Hi Bigdonna, nothing helpful to add really but just to say I am a nanny in wimbledon at the mo... If your neice does get the job and would like to meet up with other local nannies pls give me a shout!

catepilarr Tue 30-Jun-09 18:02:55

some time ago, well in 2006, i found this sentence somewhere on the web regarding live in nannies and cost of accomodation. .
'The Offset allowance for nannies for whom separate accommodation is provided is now £26.25 per 40 hour week or more'i dont remeber where it is from and cant find it now.

could have been from nanny tax, which has this webpage regarding nmw for live in nannies
http://www.nannytax.co.uk/parents/employment-costs/national-minimum-wage

frAKKINPannikin Tue 30-Jun-09 18:53:02

But separate accomodation is (or was) a taxable benefit. A bedroom is not.

bigdonna Wed 01-Jul-09 22:24:39

thanks for all your advice ladies i think i have talked her out of it as she is earning good money at moment and will not start on good money with no qualifications,i really enjoyed nannying .also thanks superduper jezabel that would have been bril if she had taken up the job but it was an au pair job and only offering 100.00 a week.

bigdonna Wed 01-Jul-09 22:27:18

sorry after reading the advert for job it was au pair not nanny!!!!

AtheneNoctua Thu 02-Jul-09 10:46:03

8-7 5 days a week for £100 is:
1- slave labour
2- not an au pair

Best to stay away from that one, I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now