Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM policies?

(26 Posts)
Littlepurpleprincess Wed 24-Jun-09 19:58:28

I am sure this has been covered before but I can't find it so I apologise for repeating stuff but I am revising all me policies and I want to make sure I haven't missed any out.

this is what I have so far:

Organisation and Documentation
Equal Opportunities
First Aid
Healthy Eating
Behaviour Management
Complaints System
Adminstering Medication

Have I missed anything out?

underpaidandoverworked Wed 24-Jun-09 20:41:53


Working in partnership with parents, carers and other settings

Non-collection of a child

Premises and security


Illnesses and injuries

Pets - did this one after a cm round here didn't have one and was told she should hmm

No smoking

Risk assessment

Fire safety

Observations, assessments and plans

You don't have to have all of the above, but if you do then it covers all of the Welfare Requirements of EYFS.

A TV policy didn't occur to me shock

Can send you copies of any of mine if you wish. Took me weeks to rewrite mine last year - shame am giving up now sad

underpaidandoverworked Wed 24-Jun-09 20:43:22

Sorry, illness and injuries covered by First aid blush

Ripeberry Wed 24-Jun-09 20:59:17

Also make sure you have 'Prior permission forms' for administering any medication.
I've also got a 'Prior permission form' for giving 1st aid.

wearefriends Wed 24-Jun-09 21:20:50

Dear underpaidandoverworke...
could you please send those polices if you don't mind it will be great help.

KatyKatyKaty Wed 24-Jun-09 21:59:10

Any chance I could be really cheeky and ask for your help with these / seeing your policies too as I am new to writing these and could really do with a starting point?

shoshe Wed 24-Jun-09 22:03:37

Wearefrinds, I have set mine through to you to, will also send to KatyKaty

Scarfmaker Thu 25-Jun-09 00:06:22

Sorry just reading through some of these:

Organisation and Documentation - this is personal stuff and doesn't need to be put into a policy surely?

Administering Medication - covered in your accident and medication book so doesn't really need to be put into another worded policy surely? Also 'prior permission form' - that's new!

Illnesses and injury - surely covered in signing the permission to seek emergency treatment book that we get.

TV - again why have a policy for this? I know my mindees watch more telly at home than at mine - so why not have one for the computer (ICT).

Sorry if I sound harsh, but on a course on Saturday it seems like Ofsted want ICT as part of the kids curriculum. It's just another telly to me.

Premises and security I would think is covered in a risk assessment for your home so there's no need to do seperate policy for this.

There's a few more mentioned that are not really needed but if you have the time and energy (and paper) I suppose you might as well.

JenniPenni Thu 25-Jun-09 00:48:48

I have over 50 policies - it's crazy grin. But they're relavent for my setting.

shoshe Thu 25-Jun-09 07:55:22

Scarf, unfortunately, these policies are needed, a lot of CM's have been marked down for not having them in inspections.

As you said, most a re a repeat of what we already have in Accident books, and such like, but still doesn't stop Ofsted asking for them.

Littlepurpleprincess Thu 25-Jun-09 08:15:27

Well Organisation and Documentation covers which information I will keep about children, staff and risk assessments. As well as how I do my planning, cleaning rota's etc. I think it's a really important one. It basically outlines how I run (the practical side of) my business.

shock at proir permission! How can this be new to you?! I would NEVER administer medication without a permission form signed by the parent.

Littlepurpleprincess Thu 25-Jun-09 08:19:29

And thankyou for your help. Have changed First Aid to First Aid, Illness and Injury.

I will include smoking, premesis and security in Safeguarding, as well as safety on outings.

LittlePaws Thu 25-Jun-09 08:47:29

Last count I have 74, and my Development Officer said I have some missing.

Littlepurpleprincess Thu 25-Jun-09 08:55:19


KatyKatyKaty Thu 25-Jun-09 09:46:02

Thanks so much for all help and advice with these, it's so much paper work it can be a bit overwhelming! All help greatly appreciated!

wearefriends Thu 25-Jun-09 10:01:08

Dear shoshe
Thank you so much for your e-mail. Much appreciated smile

Littlepurpleprincess Thu 25-Jun-09 13:36:15

I don't suppose you would mind e-mailing me yours as well Shoshe? I would really appriciate seeing how other CM's do theirs and make sure I haven't missed anything.

shoshe Thu 25-Jun-09 13:46:57

Have emailed Princess, hope they help smile

Littlepurpleprincess Thu 25-Jun-09 13:50:18

Thankyou [grateful emoticon]

Scarfmaker Thu 25-Jun-09 14:07:39

Littlepurpleprincess - no I've never heard of a 'prior permission' form for giving medication - if I do need to give anything it just goes in the NCMA medication book i've been using for 7 years.

Littlepurpleprincess Thu 25-Jun-09 14:33:56

Isn't that the same thing? A permission form that you get parents to fill in with details of the dose, times, name of medication. Only emergency treatment is given without specific permission first and even then I have parents sign a permission form before they start saying that I can treat them in an emergency.

I'm not with NCMA so maybe we are just using different terms for the same thing.

I am reviewing my safeguarding policy at the moment and I'm writing about what I would do if an allegation was made against me. If that ever happened, would I have to inform other parents immediately? Would I stop working? And who do I go to for advice, other than OFSTED?

underpaidandoverworked Thu 25-Jun-09 18:37:54

Even though you aren't with ncma you can still download their documents - they have loads of advice on policies and procedures on the website. Still trying to figure out how to do attachments girls........hmm bear with me please smile

Scarfmaker Thu 25-Jun-09 22:19:43

Littlepurpleprincess - I suppose it depends upon the allegation but I think it would be good practice to inform other parents they would probably hear sooner or later and it's best to be honest.

If it comes to an investigation by Ofsted then I have some info that says it may be helpful to suggest that the child is not minded by you while the investigation is taking place. That doesn't mean you have to stop childminding full stop.

When an allegation is made, inform your local Early Years and Ofsted as soon as possible. Also your local Childminding Association or network co-ordinator can give you advice.

Make sure you keep notes about what the child, parent or anyone else says to you, when they said it. Write down notes or in your diary as soon as possible.

Co-operate in the investigation process as fully as you can.

Do not talk to or make contact with anyone that you have been asked not to.

Remember your first responsibility is towards the child.

Hope this helps.

Littlepurpleprincess Fri 26-Jun-09 08:49:18

Thankyou Scarfmaker.

I will check out the NMCA website.

Ripeberry Fri 26-Jun-09 22:14:55

Just to clarify things the 'Prior Permission' is in the EYFS, got nothing to do with NCMA forms. The 'Prior' is the most important wording and Ofsted want to see it!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: