Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Meeting a potential CM tonight - help please on what to look out for!

(5 Posts)
SweetTalkinWoman Mon 22-Jun-09 12:23:51

My DD (2 next month) is currently at nursery which we are very happy with. However, I am due to go back to work in October after having DS (4 months) and cannot afford to have them both in nursery 4 days a week.

I bumped into a lovely local lady who just so happens to have moved to the area to set up childminding. She already owns a nursery nearby, as I understand. DH and I are going round to her house tonight to have a proper chat. Apart from the common sense things, are there any specific questions I should ask, or things I should look out for in the house? I've already got a "good feeling" about her from our chat the other day.

Also, what is the average going rate for a childminder these days, and does it vary with the age of the child?

Thanks in advance!

Numberfour Mon 22-Jun-09 13:58:02

check her paperwork - registered, up to date insurance and first aid
look at what resources she has
look at old references or letters of commendations
check what courses she has been on (shows commitment to continuing professional development)

look at general cleanliness as opposed to tidiness (DH's ex house mate had an immaculately tidy house but it was filthy!)

ask her where she goes, what she does, how old are the other children she looks after, does she have car seats, does she provide meals.

a lot of things can be worked out if that gut feeling is right!! some are non-negotiable, in my book, though!

good luck

Numberfour Mon 22-Jun-09 13:58:54

sorry - about average cost, you will have to check in your area. can be from £3 to £7 per hour depending on where in the country you are.

some CM's charge less for school children but most have one fee for all ages.

SweetTalkinWoman Mon 22-Jun-09 14:49:57

Thanks NumberFour - I know she is NVQ Level 4 but no idea what that means! Anyway, some good pointers there for me - this is the first childminder I've met, so not sure what to expect really smile.

chandellina Mon 22-Jun-09 15:15:10

i've been looking, and wanted to know about normal daily play/activities, school runs (and how many kids involved/how to manage transporting them all), meals, sleep areas (some expect them to sleep in their buggies), any "house rules," and what, in their opinion, makes for a successful placement.

You might also want to ask about TV policy, as most CMs I've seen had it on during the interview, and didn't seem too bothered about giving the impression it's on all day.

i'm in London and the rate has been around £35-£45 for a day of up to 10 hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now