Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminders....Am I being unfair ?

(8 Posts)
leo69 Mon 22-Jun-09 11:27:13

I startedwith a new child two weeks ago. His mum is being assisted by social sevices/ tax credits and receiving 80% of the fee. We agreed on 20 hours and a fee of £80. Last week she turned up to pay me Monday morning saying that she will only need me 19 and a half hours and paid me £78. I was a bit shocked. Anyway, on Friday she told me this weeks rota by text,18 and a half hours. So I said ok but it would still be £80 as we arranged. Two hours later, 5 minutes after the child was due to arrive, she texted saying he wasn't coming as he'd been sick all day.
Yesterday and this morning I texted asking whether he was better and would he coming. Nothing. What do I do? sit about the house hoping he might come?
I don't know whether she will come back. I feel like now she has the funding, she won't bother coming back. She doesnt even have to work now, she can use the childminding money!
Am I just being negative? or has she fell out because she still has to pay full ?

nannynick Mon 22-Jun-09 11:38:07

I feel that you agreed to a contract of 20 hours at £80. If she chooses not to use the full 20 hours, that is her choice. She still pays as per the contract.

Can you try calling her to establish when her child will be returning? If you fail to hear from her by the end of the week, I'd consider giving notice due to unreliability.

Children do get ill, but I feel that parents should be keeping in touch with their childcare provider, so that everyone knows the situation. Unfair of them to keep you hanging around like this - also unfair on the other children you care for.

JenniPenni Mon 22-Jun-09 11:47:12

Exactly as Nick says - she has contractual hours to pay for, whetehr she uses them or not... and it's only politeness to let you know if they're not coming/running late.

I would phone her to see what's up. If you are not satisfied with the way you're being treated, give notice - it really isn't worth it.

leo69 Mon 22-Jun-09 12:10:43

Also just realised that I had put the contracts in his bag for her to sign..maybe she's not happy with that either.

LoveMyGirls Mon 22-Jun-09 12:16:51

I wouldn't wait in for her she can ring you if she does turn up but as long as you were there for the start time it's not fair for you to then have to wait in just incase she turns up.

Doesn't sound too hopeful tbh so I wouldn't hold the place for her.

leo69 Mon 22-Jun-09 12:45:12

I'm so fed up with this part of the job. And why don't the tax credits people pay childminders directly?

Booh Mon 22-Jun-09 13:27:47

I have had this happen to me twice now, take on a child on tax credit for them to start for only a few weeks and leave without saying a word.................both times I have lost money, and there is no point going to the small claim court as they have no money.

You can report them to tax credit people, they sent me a form to fill in to stop the money being paid to them after they stopped........also if they request help again and they had money paid to them that they were not allowed they will not pay anymore until that 'debt' is cleared

leo69 Mon 22-Jun-09 13:39:02

Thanks for that.I did try to get in touch with tax credits a few yrs ago,but they said I couldn't do anything about it.We are losing out twice...childminding fees and the tax we pay to pay for their childcare! whare will I find a number for tax credits? She was due at 1pm today, so obviously she isn't coming back..no text phone call nothing >0<

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now