Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Please help me find a new childminder...

(12 Posts)
mascaraohara Mon 22-Jun-09 09:33:05

My lovely lovely childminder finished earlier this month. Because my job is so flexible I was planning on managing on my own for a while (at least until September).

However, I've just been offered a new job that wont' be so flexible, this means I have to find some wrap around childcare again and to do full days in the Summer Holidays.

I've been searching around and I can't find the best place to find someone.. can anyone help? where do I look.. I tried ofsted but could see anywhere you could search for registered childcare in a certain area.

I found "childcare uk" but they dont' have anybody registered in my area..

I've googled "child care <town name>" which also returned nothing.

How can I find a local ofsted registered childminder?

TIA smile

pinkdelight Mon 22-Jun-09 09:47:39

http://schoolsfinder.direct.gov.uk/

It's on DirectGov. Hopefully that link will work. Good luck.

pinkdelight Mon 22-Jun-09 09:48:40

Sorry, it didn't work, but if you cut and paste it into your browser it'll be fine. It's the window at the bottom that you want to use - Find childcare and nurseries.

spicemonster Mon 22-Jun-09 09:54:14

I'd ring your council too - childcare services or something similar. The list that's on the web is woefully out of date in my Borough,

Good luck

limonchik Mon 22-Jun-09 10:50:09

It's Family Information Services that hold all that info I think, website is http://www.childcarelink.gov.uk/

As spicemonster says, find the number for the local one (or ring the council and ask to be put through) in case they have more up to date info than the website.

nannynick Mon 22-Jun-09 10:52:07

Can you tell us where you live... that may help us to direct you to the best source of information.

Generally speaking you need to obtain the current childminder vacancies list from your local Families Information Service - this is typically run by your borough or county council.

www.childcarelink.gov.uk/ will provide contact details of your nearest Families Information Service, if in England or Wales.

www.scottishchildcare.gov.uk/ will provide contact details, if in Scotland.

leo69 Mon 22-Jun-09 11:08:46

Hi, try netmums.co.uk, you can write a little about the childcare you require, or look for local nannies/childminders

leo69 Mon 22-Jun-09 11:09:23

oh and childcare.co.uk, you can search locally there also

JenniPenni Mon 22-Jun-09 11:52:45

All the above!

Whereabouts are you? There might be a CM with a vacancy here on Mumsnet!

karkus14 Mon 22-Jun-09 12:32:58

Hi Tia,

I am a registered childminder in the Chertsey/Addlestone area.

Regards,
Karen

leo69 Mon 22-Jun-09 12:52:22

Maybe we need a new thread for parents looking..and childminders looking
Also you don't mention where you live mascara

mascaraohara Mon 22-Jun-09 21:26:20

Hi all,

Thanks for the comments.

I've looked at the childminders with vacancies thread (can't remember it's exact name) but there are none in my area..

I would imagine lots of people don't want to give away there exact lcoation and I live in a small place so can't really say.

I've found 3 childminders who will drop off & collect at dd's school so have some options but I did go and look at the after school club today and dd was very taken with that so she is going to try it on Wednesday.

Still not sure what to do re. Summer Holidays though but have something temporary lined up so have bought myself some time.

It's a bit of a shame that you can't search your area for childminders/nannies etc on this site

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now