Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Has anyone got EYPS? What does it mean for employment prospects?

(15 Posts)
used2bthin Sun 21-Jun-09 20:56:21

Hi I am thinking of applying for training for this as I think I meet the criteria. I haven't worked since having DD though so this may affect my chances? If you have this is it a qualification only for work in nureries or can it be used elsewhere?

hocuspontas Sun 21-Jun-09 20:58:01

I read somewhere that it could possibly replace teachers in early years settings hmm

used2bthin Sun 21-Jun-09 21:02:59

Really? Is it a very new thing? I justfound out that it is my old personal tutor from my degree running the course here so I think I will give her a call tomorrow and see if I can find out more (or raher leave a message on her answer phone!). I'd never heard of it till tonight.

Numberfour Sun 21-Jun-09 21:30:21

Early Years Professional Status is a status award that can be given to people in early years who can show evidence that they meet certain standards of practice - both in their personal practice and in leading and supporting other practitioners.

it is not a teaching qualification so will not replace teachers and it is not a managerial status so will not necessarily qualify you to be a manager of any sort.

EYPS holders are graduate professional in Early Years who lead and support others in the implementation of the EYFS.

It is a new status and has only been offered for a couple of years.

Have a look at the Children's Workforce Development Council website for more info.

I am a childminder and am busy with the course at the moment.

used2bthin Sun 21-Jun-09 21:55:22

Thanks numberfour so would it only be worth doing if I was already working? I was hoping to do some re training or extra training before looking for work when DD is at school in a year or so. I'm not sure I want to do managerial type work again though, am hoping to work in a chikdren's centre again supporting families and not necessarily in a nursery setting. How are you finding the course?

Numberfour Mon 22-Jun-09 07:15:24

There is no reason why you have to work while you are doing the course, though depending on what pathway is suitable for you, you may have to do extra hours in a certain age group to gain the experience. The course provider will assess by way of interview what pathway you need to be on.

Are you a graduate? If so, you may be given either the 6 month or 3 month pathway depending on your early years experience.

The course if very mind blowing at first, but after a while it starts to make sense. Like many courses it is a process you have to go through!! The real pain is that they use words like Gateway Review and Validation Pathway...... not clear at all what is meant until you do it!

Numberfour Mon 22-Jun-09 07:16:02

sorry... just seen in your reply to hocuspontas that you are a graduate!

used2bthin Mon 22-Jun-09 19:56:21

Thanks Numberfour it does sound interesting. Will there be roles created specifically for EYPs do you think?

Numberfour Tue 23-Jun-09 07:04:54

not sure about that, used2bethin. but i have heard that there are only about 2000 odd EYPs at the moment and the government's intention is to increase the education level of early years childcare providers and there is some target set for a few years time ..... very vague answer!!!
it is a new status so I reckon that there will definitely be an increasing demand for EYPs in the near future. and while i am sweating blood to get my stuff in on time, it is doable (famous last words....)

Ripeberry Tue 23-Jun-09 17:35:45

Our old pre-school leader did the EYPS course and passed it and the pre-school got £1000! But then she ran off over Easter leaving us in the lurch, she had used us to get the qualification.
But at least if you have EYPS any pre-schools or nurseries would bite your hand off as they get an incentive to have you!

used2bthin Tue 23-Jun-09 22:08:17

Thanks for the replies it may well be a good thing to do to help find work then. Still haven't heard back from the course leader. Numberfour I may be asking your advice again then if I decide to apply to do it!

Numberfour Wed 24-Jun-09 07:21:51

no problem!

at the moment the CDWC offers £1000 to settings to release the candidate from work to do the course and attend lectures. so the payment is to cover cost of other replacement staff, travel costs, etc. the course is also paid for by the CWDC, which is a bonus.

also, local authorities also have incentives under the Graduate Placement programme for EYPs. I can tap into this once I am accredited - no time to do that until my EYP is done!!

used2bthin Wed 24-Jun-09 13:04:46

Thanks numberfour I am now really keen to get involved with it. I still haven't heard back from the tutor and have tried calling again today! I wouldn't necessarily be working while doing the course so not sure how funding would work but there should hopefully be a pathway for me, possibly as you suggested doing voluntary work. I have got child care issues as DD has medical needs so I'd need to do it very part time. I wish the tutor would hurry up and get back to me to talk about it!

Numberfour Wed 24-Jun-09 14:06:50

call your local authority and talk to the early years workforce development department.

or go on to the Children's Workforce Development Council's website, look up the name of your nearest provider and ring them. the placement is done after an interview (very informal and not an assessment - rather just an interview to see which pathway is best for you) and I am sure that at the interview you could discuss your work and childcare issues too.

used2bthin Wed 24-Jun-09 14:29:27

Thanks it is my old tutor who is the lised contact for my area. So will have to wait for her to get back in touch I think. She always was difficult to get hold of but I am sure she is very busy. I am feeling really impatient about it because it is the first thing that has got me excited career wise since having DD and seems like a really good idea. Ah well she will have to get back to me at some point I suppose!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now