Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Registering your kitchen as a buisness???!!??

(12 Posts)
newishminder Fri 19-Jun-09 22:32:51

During my inspection today I was informed that If Im suppling meals I now have to register my kitchen as a buisness?
Has anyone heard of this??
Anyone gone through the process?
Im very shocked!:O

Katymac Fri 19-Jun-09 22:42:38

Yep I got a form from the local environmental health office & they have said fine, thanks & have never since been in touch

newishminder Fri 19-Jun-09 22:53:26

What do you have to do?

dizzydixies Fri 19-Jun-09 22:54:46

it depends on what exactly you're doing from your kitchen but yes, you need to get in touch with your Env Health office and they'll see you right smile

dizzydixies Fri 19-Jun-09 22:55:35

can you hop onto your local council website and see a link for your env health office? they'll be very helpful if they're anything like mine

atworknotworking Sat 20-Jun-09 13:05:48

At the end of last year we were informed that we needed to register as a food business, we went on a little course which was done by one of our enviro officers we all got the better business safer food pack. which contains basic food safety stuff similar to what you would go through on the food hygiene course, a dvd, and forms which should be completed daily which have safe methods for how you cook foods and keep your premises clean, basically you need to fill out a form registering as a food bis, send it off and they get in touch with you the inspector comes out and insepects the premises although the one I had spent longer looking at my policys and proceedures and health and safety stuff than at how clean the house was, I got 5 stars which was nice smile. I was told that they probably wouldn't inspect again for about 2yrs. That's it really just a question of filling the forms out daily, you can get free replacements if you phone as well.

Katymac Sat 20-Jun-09 15:34:34

Or you just fill in a form & do nothing

underpaidandoverworked Sat 20-Jun-09 19:23:44

We've been told here in the north we don't have to do this hmm. My inspector didn't raise this point recently, and I prepared lunch for a mindee while she was here - could it just be down to the discretion of the local authorities or is it a legal requirement

The obvious solution is 'DON'T FEED THE CHILDREN' grin

Only joking btw before the flames come out... smile

newishminder Sun 21-Jun-09 21:41:25

Thanks atworknotworking.Thats very interesting thank you.Im going to ring first thing in the morning and go from there.It just sounded very daunting!Im very annoyed that I have'nt been informed b4 this!
One thing I didnt understand from what my inspector told me was that she said the children can provide their own food!Surely this has come into place because of possible food poisening and that this will cover us legally if we get registered. But how does a child providing their own food prevent this?Madness!
Thanks for everyones replies

LittleBears Sun 21-Jun-09 21:47:01

I had to fill in a form from the council website, nice letter came back saying I was now registered. That was that.

atworknotworking Mon 22-Jun-09 09:20:41

Quite a few minders near me don't provide food, the parents take a packed lunch etc, environmental health said that regardless of whether you provide from scratch or not you still need to register as the people we care for as CM's are a vulnerable group, and we will still lkely have to prepare bottles, baby feeds and have some sort of prep with the storage and dishing up of the meals provided by parents. The other thing is, is that if mindees bring in their own food at the moment, this may change in the future, it's really not complicated and once the pack is filled in it's just a case of keeping it updated each day.

thesilverlining Mon 22-Jun-09 19:52:21

in SOuth West we were also told you didn't need to register with Env Health - although if you want someone to come out they are happy to oblige you.

I too recently had inspection and cooked a full on lunch while she was there and I got I can't see that it is a legal requirement otherwise we'd all have to do it - it must be one of those "good practice" jobbies.......??????

Be interesting to see what others in other oparts of the UK have to say about this....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: