Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Volunteer at DSs playgroup, been asked if I want to train doing NVQs, what does it entail?

(6 Posts)
Disenchanted3 Thu 18-Jun-09 19:21:29

I was a bit shocked , but pleased, as only been 3 sessions (started Monday) but the lady who runs it said I'd been doing fantasically and asked if I wanted to do some training, starting at NVQ level 2 & going on to 3.

What would this get me? an NVQ in what exactly?

Also she said 'you would train in NVQ level 2 hen 3 and then you could be employed if that was something you wanted to do?'

Do you take that as meaning she may imploy me there? Or am I getting ahead of myself, does she mean in general?

Thanks x

Go for it grin.

I'm a cm at the moment but have had enough and am looking for employment in childcare. My NVQ3 was funded by NCMA and it's the best thing I did - it means I can now apply for jobs in nurseries, creches, playgroups and do supply childcare work.

It's really hard work - and there will be times when you feel like giving up - but it's one of those qualifications that you can't fail and you do at your own pace. If you can do it with support through a local college, even better - I was basically assigned an assessor, given no guidance on what to do or what was expected, infact the assessor was as clueless as I was at times. But I got there in the end smile

It may or may not lead to you getting a job in that playgroup, but it's a qualification for life. Good luck

DrEvil Thu 18-Jun-09 19:33:24

That's what one of the mums at my ds's crèche did, she started as a mummy helper and is now a paid member of staff just finishing her NVQ3.

I know she is a lone parent so has everything arranged around her dd. She is truly fab!

If childcare is something that interests you careerwise then I would be tempted to grab the oportunity with both hands. I don't know how much work the NVQs are but it must be structured so mums can do it and volunteer too.

Good luck!

cookielove Thu 18-Jun-09 19:33:24

Level 2 means you'll be qualified as a nursery assistant, and level 3 as a nursery nurse.

She prob just means in general, but i imagine if there is a job opportunity at the playgroup she would encourage you to at least go for an interview.

herbietea Thu 18-Jun-09 19:40:33

Message withdrawn

Disenchanted3 Fri 19-Jun-09 08:13:25

It sounds like its worth doing, I'll give it a go

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now