Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Hi me again...and another dilemna...

(8 Posts)
Summerfruit Thu 18-Jun-09 18:22:10

I have this little girl, she is 16 months old with her I have my 2 years old dd and a 19 months old little boy..I had this little girl for 4 months...3 days a week..She is really sweet and cute and really cuddly but she has been really hard to deal with, she is settled I think but she cries a lot because she wants to be taken all the time, wants a lots of cuddle etc..I don't mind giving cuddles (it's one of the reason I do the job, love cuddles !!) but it affects the other 2..the little girl even get jealous if I give cuddles to the other 2 ! She cries if I'm out of sight for 30 seconds, grab my legs all the time, doesn't want to play / do activities..she also has her good days where she plays happily/interact with the other children but it is rare.. What should I do ? Can you give me some tips to make situation better ? Or maybe shall I consider giving my notice ?blush

Is she an only child - it could be she's used to having 1-1 at home and needs to get used to having to 'share' your attentions. TBH, this is typical behaviour at this age - she will grow out of it, but I've been through it with a mindee and I know how hard it is. I would have a chat with parents - maybe get them to bring her favourite toy or teddy from home. Wouldn't stress too much about her not doing activities - just give her 'free play' with a range of toys and let her lead the play.

When all else fails, just make sure you have a bottle of wine in the fridge at the end of the day wink

DrEvil Thu 18-Jun-09 19:26:39

Hi,
I'm not a childminder but from a parents perspective I've always sent my lo with a cuddly ( he takes the bear he goes to bed with) and having the familiar friend seems to help with anxiety.

Or, would it help to put the clingy-est one in a sling either hip style or backpack style so she's with you but you can devote attention to the others and almost forget she's there (and she'll be comforted by being next to you).

Numberfour Thu 18-Jun-09 19:40:31

does she sleep well at night? perhaps she is overtired. i had a child like that and he cried at the drop of a hat for anything and everything. purely due to tiredness.

Scarfmaker Thu 18-Jun-09 22:30:26

Yes they cry due to tiredness and wanting a bottle of milk. Have you tried this? Check with Mum what comforts her and stay with the child's routine for sleep, play, feeding etc.

I had a child like this but she only came along for one day per week, but after 7 months she still wasn't settled and I unfortunately had to give notice. The first one I've had to do! I felt a failure but couldn't carry on with her anymore as the whole day was such hard work, especially as I had other mindees, like yourself.

Summerfruit Fri 19-Jun-09 08:22:29

Hi ! Thank you for your answer, your opinions means a lot as a carer and as a parent ! She has a dummy which sometimes help, I respect her routine, she sleeps well ( I always ak if the lo has a good night)..Ill try the milk, didnt try that as I never have to give milk during the day..I dont want to give up but I'm going to give myself 2 months and then review the situation ! This morning we are going to do presents for father's day, she ll probably enjoy messing around with the paint !

Underpaid - The day she comes I have always a bottle of wine in the fridge smile

grin

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 19-Jun-09 19:49:36

I feel quite sad about that but ignore me - have had a weird day.

I think 16 months is a bit young for activities rather than just playing but my youngest is 4 so I might just be forgetting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now