Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

UK bank accounts for APs

(4 Posts)
Millarkie Thu 18-Jun-09 11:22:44

Can anyone recommend a UK bank account for next AP to set up? She's been in the UK for a year already and so has a chunk of savings to put in it, and it would make my life easier to do a bank transfer rather than a cashpoint run every week
I know that the 'proof of identity' step is a lot more complicated than when I were a gal so any recommendations for something quick to set up, easy access to dosh and able to take a standing order (into account) would be great. Thanks

DadInsteadofMum Thu 18-Jun-09 11:25:24

Any of the main clearing banks will do.

She will need proof of identity (passport) and proof of address (this one is trickier but they should accept the AP contract).

You may find it easier to go in with her and do it at your bank if you are a long term customer of "good standing".

Weegle Thu 18-Jun-09 11:28:13

Actually we've had a nightmare with this with previous AP's because they obviously don't have utility bills with their name. What's worked for the last few is the most basic of cash accounts at HSBC. They don't get a debit card but they get a cash card, and you can pay in by SO, so means they aren't carrying huge amounts of cash and you're not having to do the bank run. But you have to support the application. It also means they still have to pay for things in cash, but it's the best we've ever managed to achieve.

Millarkie Thu 18-Jun-09 12:03:44

DIOM - I use internet banking which is fab for us, but they charge people who don't pay £1500 a month into the account and I'm not that generous an 'employer'.
Weegle - Thanks, I knew I had heard that it's not easy for some reason but forgot exactly why! I'll try HSBC - sounds ok and I always offer to pay for flights/language courses on my card and have them repay me anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now