Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

To join or not to join, that is the question?!?

(7 Posts)
LaurenD Tue 16-Jun-09 20:02:36

Hi all,
I am a newly registered(ish! - just awaiting reg certificate) CM and am trying to decide whether to join the NCMA. Just wondered if anyone else could give me their opinions! Is it worth it? I know I get free insurance in the first year and some other perks but do you experienced CM's find joining worthwhile?
Many thanks
x

atworknotworking Tue 16-Jun-09 20:09:17

I'm with NCMA has it's pros and con's
Good bits is that they have a fairly good advice and legal line if you need it, and they often fund courses, I'm doing NVQ atm paid by them smile Bad bits have to use their contracts to validate insurance and they are a bit pricy, ohh and the logo is quite nice.

You could always do the first year to get your free ins then swap over if yoou arn't happy.grin

leonifay Tue 16-Jun-09 20:33:30

i joined NCMA because of the free year, to see how it worked out. tbh i've used the advice line for a number of things and also the discounts you get also come in handy. i'm pretty sure i'll be staying with them when i come to renew at the end of this year.

holdingittogether Tue 16-Jun-09 20:34:21

I have just renewed my membership. I did it without thinking really. I hope I never need the free legal helpline but it's good to know it's there. I think being a member entitles you to various discounts and the free magazine you get sent every now and then is quite good. I also just think it looks good to potential clients that you belong to NCMA, looks proffessional.

leeloo1 Tue 16-Jun-09 20:39:16

I just joined them, but the insurance was £23, not free sadly... I bought their lovely starter pack - that includes all the contracts, record books and stuff - and 1st aid kit too... all in all I spent about £160 with them (they must have seen me coming!)

holdingittogether Tue 16-Jun-09 20:43:57

My first year was only free (to me) because the county council paid for it as part of a start up grant scheme for new childminders. I got, membership, insurance, start up box of paperwork and fire blanket in some kind of start up bundle I think under this scheme.

You used to get a memebers handbook, containing loads of useful info, sent out when you renewed - actually, it was 3 books a few years ago - but apparently they're scrapping them now and you can download them instead - but you can do that whether or not you are a member hmm.

Not sure if renewing membership this year - will still get the insurance, but the membership is a lot of money for 4 magazines a year and the use of the helpline, which I've used once in four years.

Loads of cms round here don't bother - and they get their insurance through Morton Michel.

Yes, have done all my training through NCMA - and am very grateful - but think they are pricey for what you get this year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now