Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

au-pair rate in London

(10 Posts)
sara4 Tue 16-Jun-09 19:13:07

Just wondered what the going rate for a basic au-pair is; 25 hours a week? We live in a suburb of London if rates are different owing to location..thanks

MrsHappy Tue 16-Jun-09 19:22:37

My friends are paying £70pw for 25 hours. They are not in central London (i.e. not zone 1 or 2). If you call a couple of agencies they should be able to tell you what the rate around you is.

Julesnobrain Tue 16-Jun-09 20:17:25

We live in a London suburb and pay £80 for 35 hours a week.

itsalwaysthequietones Tue 16-Jun-09 22:47:06

we are in zone 2 and pay 60/week for 25 hours - that's childcare for 1 toddler, no cleaning. That was the recommended rate suggested by the organisation that sent her but it sounds as if it's a bit low. Have beeing doing a bit of research online and based on that, will probably up it.

ConstantlyCooking Wed 17-Jun-09 08:09:23

we have just recruited an au pair for London zone 3 and are paying £65 per week for 25 hours per week. That is for school runs + after-school care for older children so less labour intensive than little ones.

AtheneNoctua Wed 17-Jun-09 09:34:04

What other perks come with this rate? Obviously, room and board is included.

What about:
English classes?
mobile phone?
access to car?
gym membership?
travel card / bus pass?

In about a year I hope to reduce to an ua pair and just wondered what the norm is.

MrsHappy Wed 17-Jun-09 09:41:10

Athene - my friends just give room and board. No other perks.

Squiffy Wed 17-Jun-09 09:50:05

Hi AN.

English classes? - they pay but we sort out for them (Adult Education, not provate schools) sometimes free for them, sometimes £170 for a year)

mobile phone? We supply phone and sim and then bung them £20 each month - they pay the rest on top. But these days AP's expect free video skype to be on tap at home too.

access to car? Yes, but doubt AP's would expect that in London (also can cost earth on insurance depednign on age, so be very careful)

gym membership? No, but would be a big perk
travel card / bus pass? We pay petrol here in the sticks so yes, I guess an oyster card in London would be the norm (or at least a contribution to it)

We pay £65 for 25 hours, plus car and petrol.

NewTeacher Wed 17-Jun-09 09:56:06

Hi there

English classes is their own expense that is one of the main reasons they came over after all!

Mobile phone and SIM provided I have only topped up a tenner every now and then, so calls are covered to me. Their own personal usage is their own.

Young persons railcard I think it was £25.

Gym - Nope way too expensive, I can just afford for myself!

Car - AP is covered on car insurance (a big expense about £400) but we need AP to do school run. Being in London though car is not for personal use.

We pay £85 for 25 hours but that includes cleaning as well.

Hope that helps.

DadInsteadofMum Wed 17-Jun-09 12:57:30

Pay £70 for 30 hours, plus car and local petrol, phone, yes to gynm membership but only because it wasn't too much more to add on to family membership. A bus pass would be pointless out here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now