Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Worried about my first inspection this friday

(9 Posts)
newishminder Sun 14-Jun-09 20:10:04

Had 'the' call on friday late afternoon. The lady from OFSTED asked if I was minding which I replied I am but to only one child aged four and thats only to take and bring back from pre-school and play group.I told her that I did have another part time child but they left on wednesday. Her reply was 'oh well you dont need to be registered if you are only having one child for 2 hrs or less a day'' I tried to explain that this is only tempory and that this situation has only just happened and it was sudden and unexpected. Ive told her that I have a parent coming to see me this coming wednesday about me having her 9 month old and her other 3 children on school holidays.She didnt sound like she was interested in me after this She said that because my inspection is overdue she doesnt have a choice but to do it this week.I was kind of looking forward to my first inspection (no im not mad lol) as I wanted to make sure Im doing everything right.But now since that call Im really nervous.She didnt sound all that friendly and I think ive blown it already.Ive done so much work to make sure everything is in place and it now feels because the child left last week its all gone to waste.Can I show her all the planning and obs on the child thats just left?or wont she be interested?What do I do with all the obs on this child?I know I need to keep all the other records on her but not sure on the obs.Sorry this has got long.Just really nervous and Ive got the whole week to go yet!She said she wants to observe me after I bring the little boy back from play group.He's only at mine for 45 mins max so I had already planned to make a fathers day card with him, so hopefully this will be ok?or shall I do some thing else?HELP

MUM2BLESS Sun 14-Jun-09 21:05:20

HI NEWISHMINDER

I would like to offer you some help.

If you can email me on mjohnson4joy@yahoo.co.uk I will let you have some info that may be of help to you.

Look forward to hearing from you!!!

atworknotworking Mon 15-Jun-09 11:27:05

Aww bless looking forward to an inspection hmm not something I usually hear, but heyho good for you.

Can you borrow wink some mindees for the day? I think doing a card will be fab, I would imagine the inspector will be happy to see your obs for the child that's just left, she can see how you do it then my last one looked at bits and pieces from mindees that had left gives a good picture of continuity etc. anyway if you put everything in a big pile they might go throught it without realising grin

Good luck hope it goes well, let us know how you get on.

atworknotworking Mon 15-Jun-09 11:30:58

Oh with regard to obs on the child that's left, they usually get passed on to the new setting if their is one, as I understand it it's not your responsibility to do this but if the new place asks for them then you send them on (could be wrong I'm sure someone will let me know if it is)

<<ducks under table quick>>

newishminder Mon 15-Jun-09 13:50:59

lol to borrow a mindee!Ill have my other children here too,aged 4 and 6, so ill just have to make sure shes happy with that i guess.
Ill go ahead with the card making then as he likes arty things and my kids do too so hopefully they will all get involved together.
I have all my paper work together so Ill just give her everything including the childs stuff thats just left.
The four yr old I have does the majority of his hrs at pre-school so they do his obs and so on but Ive done a few just to get into the swing of doing them and also the practice. So I'll give her them too. This way I'll know if I'm doing it right.

I shall keep everything on the mindee thats just left.I doubt they will be in contact as it ended quite messy
Thanks for your help and I'll deffo let you know how I get on.
Just one more question ........do I get my grading straight away or do I have to wait untill Im informed by letter?
Thanks again
Nm

atworknotworking Mon 15-Jun-09 16:23:56

I've always got my result grin before inspector has left, at the end they go through what they have written and they say what grading you have been given, obv they say will be confirmed in writing, although I do know a couple who have had to wait, so I don't think the inspector has to tell you IYKWIM, think it's just a courtesy thing.

Good luck grin

Make sure your obs show the 'next step' planning for the child's learning and development.

Good luck smile

newishminder Mon 15-Jun-09 22:17:51

Thanks atworknotworking!Hopefully she will let me know-otherwise I think Ill go mad!
Thanks for the luck theothermarypoppinsdiets!

underpaidandoverworked On my observation sheets I have a space for next step, is that ok ? I only have one permanant and regular child at the mo and his pre-school have him more hrs than I do so Ive just done a few obs on him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now