Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM Club:Not being a scare monger, not panicking (much) but financially what would happen if we had to close due to Swine flu?

(29 Posts)
KatyMac Sun 14-Jun-09 12:42:51

Say the schools we pick up from close due to swine flu

We have had advise that we would have to close

So what happens wrt money - I am not being greedy but if I had to close it would be a big problem to not earn for a week (or could be 2)

If I'm closed parents wouldn't pay - so could I claim anything?

Now to add to it I employ people - so would I still have to pay them if I wasn't earning?

Sorry to panic a little bit

nannynick Sun 14-Jun-09 13:26:47

If the school shuts, you are only being advised to close... can anyone actually make you close? If the children are tested for swine flu and found to be negative, then I would have thought you could open.

Doubt any insurance is available, or would payout in the event of a business being closed due to swine flu.

As you employ people and it's your choice as the employer to close, then yes you still need to pay them - though you can request that they take annual leave.

KatyMac Sun 14-Jun-09 13:32:19

I though our advise was to close if the school we had contact with closes (must re-read)

But how do you make that decision? What criteria do you use?

looneytune Sun 14-Jun-09 13:45:53

No idea as we haven't been told we'd have to close - yet!

atworknotworking Sun 14-Jun-09 14:24:04

I went all over the net when phase 6 was confirmed, but couldn't find any info, looked on ofsted and NCMA as well as HPA nothing, so I havn't a clue what to do either. We already have extra precautions for our mindees, and did risk assessment as well, if anyone has symptoms, I will be sending home asap, my parents agree with this as well. One of my mindees parents works at hosp where a colleague has SF (not a close colleague though, had no contact) but like KatyMac I would really struggle if we had to close for couple of weeks, although one of my mums did say she would still pay me anyway smile as she said she's a teacher and she will still get paid if she's off so nothing changes for her.
If anyone knows anything advice would be much appreciated.

HSMM Sun 14-Jun-09 16:16:23

If one of the children in my care was diagnosed, then I would probably speak to all the parents about where we all wanted to go from there.

Currently .... burying my head in the sand and hoping it won't happen.

Funnily enough, 2 of my mindees have just returned from America. When we went to the local children's centre, it had a poster up asking us to speak to reception for information if we had just returned from abroad, so I went to speak to them. They didn't have any information at all!

nannynick Sun 14-Jun-09 16:27:39

I've been tidying my flat today (well trying to, it is an endless battle) and have found a letter from Surrey County Council about this subject. So thought I would actually read it.

The letter did not mention about closing the provision. Letter was from Early May.

It did provide a link to further information though Teachernet: Flu Pandemic

Reading the 11 June 2009 guidance - Latest Update - I found the following:

"There may be circumstances where local health authorities advise individual schools and early-years and childcare settings to close temporarily in order to contain the spread of infection or because there are high numbers of swine flu cases among pupils and/or staff. Unless they are advised to close on health grounds or unless the school or setting judges there are too few staff to guarantee pupil safety, schools and nurseries should plan on staying open."

So reading that, it appears to me that you do not have to close unless told to do so by the local health authority.

atworknotworking Sun 14-Jun-09 17:49:19

Thanks NannyNick thats very useful, I guess we'll know soon enough if LA decides to close childcare settings down, it's school hols pretty soon anyway, so here's hoping things will keep steady away till then, at least if children are off it may limit the risk somewhat.

Thanks again

KatyMac Sun 14-Jun-09 18:21:51

I got this a while back

Childminders
There are some things you should do now:
■ Read the guidance on personal and domestic hygiene and infection control (see
www.wiredforhealth.gov.uk/cat.php?catid=917 or your local Children’s Information Service)
■ Have supplies of cleaning materials, soap, hot water, tissues, tissue-disposal
■ Be clear what your responsibilities are if there is a flu pandemic – check with your local
authority, childminder network co-ordinator and parents
■ Have up to date contact details for parents so that you can let them know whether you
can care for children or not, and if their child falls ill while with you and needs to be
collected before the usual time
Your local authority or Children’s Information Service will tell you when the pandemic is in
your area. Childminders should only look after children if they themselves and their own
children are well, and should not look after children who are infected with pandemic flu. If
you and your own children are well you should carry on as normal, but you must:
■ follow the infection control guidance
■ arrange for parents to be told if any children in your care show signs of having flu and for
the child to be sent home. Let parents of any other children you care for know what has
happened but so long as the children and you are well you should continue to care for
them as normal
■ make sure that any child you care for who has been unwell is fully recovered before they
return to your care;
If you or anyone else in your household feel unwell with flu symptoms you should:
■ Not look after other people’s children and take sensible precautions for the care of any
children of your own;
■ Inform the parents of all the children you care for and ask them to make alternative
arrangements for childcare;
■ Not agree to care for any children until you are fully recovered.
If you have had the pandemic strain and recovered, you may be immune to further
infection from that strain of virus, and may have cross-protection from any related strain,
but should still take sensible precautions. Make sure you have followed the infection
control guidance and that you carry on following that guidance until the pandemic is over.

But it all seems a bit vague - why are the schools closing?

AND if we are told to close - how do we afford to live

islandofsodor Sun 14-Jun-09 21:40:36

My cousin's mate has been diagnosed with swine flu, he is a teacher and his school did not close.(though the parents did riot outside there apparently!)

I work for a children's activity and we have been told that if the school we hire is closed for swine flu then we find someone else to run from. If told to close by the DOH we will have to refund parents and live on fresh air. Have checked and our insurance doesn't cover this.

I really can't see it happening myself.

I've put together a policy/guidance including fees - saying normal rules apply, you are ill full fee, I am ill no fee - but that if I am ordered to close by a government body for instance, full fees are payable.

Wether that would stand up legally I've no idea though?! hmm

atworknotworking Mon 15-Jun-09 06:51:01

I've been thinking a lot about the fee thing, my parents are 50/50 tax credit help and not eligable, if we were to close would tax credits claw back those weeks that parents didn't get care or do you think they would be kind and tell parents to pass on the money anyway (thought you could all do with a laugh grin). For some I might be able to give sessions later to make up for the ones lost if they still continue to pay, I know a couple would still pay regardless - I'm very lucky with the parents I have now they are all super- either way it's going to be hard going. Like you KatyMac I don't know why some schools close and others don't I thought the LEA decided, but at times it seems to be at the discretion of the head's / govnrs, think I will try to get in touch with my local EYP's see if they have any guidance yet.

HSMM Mon 15-Jun-09 08:09:20

I am in 2 minds on this ... if I get it, or my DD gets it, then obviously I will close. If another mindee gets it .... will I close to protect my DD?

I like the policy about closure due to government body intervention. Might try that one.

Like most of you (I guess) I cannot afford not to earn money!

atworknotworking Mon 15-Jun-09 11:17:29

Just got an e-mail from my local EYP it has some links for further info www.direct.gov.uk www.hpa.org.uk www.nurseryworld.co.uk my EYP said the nurseryworld one was the most useful but I can't get into it, typical will keep trying though. Can't see any info re loss of income though.

atworknotworking Mon 15-Jun-09 11:19:16

sorry didn't link properly

www.direct.gov.uk

hpa.org.uk

nurseryworld.co.uk

KatyMac Mon 15-Jun-09 13:58:20

I don't think you can get the nursery world one unless you subscribe.....shame

ramonaquimby Mon 15-Jun-09 14:01:02

I would pay my childminder as well (I'm a teacher and would also get paid if my school closed)

would be highly unusual circumstances and for a bit of good will I would continue to pay

unless it went on for months grin

ramonaquimby Mon 15-Jun-09 14:01:04

I would pay my childminder as well (I'm a teacher and would also get paid if my school closed)

would be highly unusual circumstances and for a bit of good will I would continue to pay

unless it went on for months grin

Booh Mon 15-Jun-09 14:07:29

ramonaquimby - most parents would not pay if we are closed.

I have e-mailed my network co - ordinator for advice

atworknotworking Mon 15-Jun-09 16:14:12

KatyMac - got meeting with EYP later this week, will get copy of nurseryworld one, and pass on info if relevant.

KatyMac Wed 17-Jun-09 21:35:12

Sorry forgot this

Thanks AWNW

Bubble99 Thu 18-Jun-09 14:27:17

KatyMac. Our policy with Morton Michel covers us for this.

atworknotworking Thu 18-Jun-09 14:32:00

<awnw quickly changes from NCMA>

atworknotworking Thu 18-Jun-09 14:35:30

Ok got a bit of info it appears that if we have to close due to the very imminent event that we all get oinky flu, it seems that we have to try to claim for loss of earnings through our insurance policys.

Havn't had chance to dig about yet, but my first thought was Yeah right that's ok because insurance companies always pay out really quick hmmif at all.

Will dig around a bit.

Katymac Thu 18-Jun-09 18:10:39

NCMA does NOT cover us for this

I asked

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now