Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

I want to get a nanny for DS for January 2010; when is the right time to start looking?

(12 Posts)
mumtojohn Thu 11-Jun-09 21:19:15

I realise this may be a stupid question, but since (as I have found) it is advisable to start looking for nursery places very far in advance, is the same true when looking for a nanny?

I ask because I am realising it is very likely that I won't get a place in one of my top choice nurseries for January so am thinking of just calling off the search and plumping for a nanny instead. But I am wondering if the lead times for nannies looking for work is shorter than is the case for nursery-hunting? Should I start looking now or is that a bit silly?

Sorry if this question is facile! x

AtheneNoctua Thu 11-Jun-09 21:29:31

Around Oct./Nov. You need enought time to place add, filter the applications, interview, ect. and then give him/her enough time to give notice at current job.

mumtojohn Thu 11-Jun-09 21:31:08

Great, thanks very much

nannynick Thu 11-Jun-09 21:43:07

You may want to initially start looking a bit earlier... as some nannies may want to give their employer a month or more notice (I've been known to give an academic terms notice).

You could start by posting a few internet ads and state in them the starting date... and see what turns up.

AtheneNoctua Thu 11-Jun-09 21:51:48

The problem with that, Nick, is that your memberships/ads expire before you are really ready to go full speed ahead.

nannynick Thu 11-Jun-09 22:03:12

Yes that is true but the cost isn't that high usually, so ads could be re-written.

The last time I applied for a nanny job, I applied a little over 3 months before the job was due to start.

willowthewispa Thu 11-Jun-09 22:06:26

I've seen a couple of ads recently for jobs starting in January or even February and have thought it is far to far in advance - a potential nanny you find now could get offered a better job or get pregnant in the meantime!

I've just started looking for a new job this week, and am looking at late July/August/September starts.

fairimum Thu 11-Jun-09 22:48:53

I am currently looking for a job for September, have been keeping an eye out since middle of May...

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 12-Jun-09 07:55:24

if you want a nanny i would place adverts 3/4mths before hand

this gives you a month to look through cvs,interview, check ref, interview 2nd time those you like and then offer the job - and then many nannys have 2mths in their contract as notice

so in your case sept and no later than october if you want a nanny to start beg of jan

lobsters Fri 12-Jun-09 09:54:22

I'm been looking over the last few weeks for a nanny to start in October, and had a good selection of applicants for that start (although I think it helps that people are looking for positions knowing their current charge starts school in September).

It will always be the case that if you look ealier/ later you may have found a better candidate, but if I were you I would go for September, if you don't find someone in the inital hunt you have time to keep looking. With a Jan start you need to bare in mind nothing much will happen in the last couple of weeks in December, so you need to be ready before that.

mumtojohn Fri 12-Jun-09 11:48:49

Righty-ho, thanks all.

nannyL Fri 12-Jun-09 14:06:25

Im starting a new job in Septmber and its already sorted.

Last time i changed jobs (3 years ago) i had found my family 4 months before and contract signed and sealed 3 months before.

With this in mind i would start advertising around September

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now