Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What's the going rate for an experienced nanny in Surrey?

(9 Posts)
thomsonf Thu 11-Jun-09 20:31:38

Hi all

We are seriously looking at getting a nanny as an alternative to my two girls going to nursery as the nursery hours and my working hours are increasingly failing to mix but before we can make a final decision, we need to understand the realistic cost. I have looked on nannyjob and gumtree for ads in the local area as I know it is so area dependent but the adverts either say £neg, £going rate or cover such a huge range.

I live in Weybridge and am looking for a sole charge nanny for 3yr old and 14month old 3 days (11hours each) a week. What is a realistic gross rate/hr if I want to attract an experienced (at least 2 yrs nanny experience and preferably more) nanny?

Thanks in advance

Fiona

AtheneNoctua Thu 11-Jun-09 20:39:02

If you can accommodate a live-in it will be much cheaper. Or if you can find someone with own child who will reduce rate because it is effectively a nanny-share.

nannynick Thu 11-Jun-09 21:37:37

Weybridge isn't that far from where I work, so would guess that salaries in the area will be similar. I would expect you are looking at around £10 gross per hour, possibly a bit more given that you are offering 33 hours per week, rather than 40+.

An example job in the area (well area ish) which is paying £22,800 gross... works out at a little over £10 per hour gross by my calculations.

nannynick Thu 11-Jun-09 21:38:22

Opps forgot the link - Nanny job in Englefield Green

eeyore12 Thu 11-Jun-09 22:37:13

I am currently looking for a post in Weybridge starting from the middle of Oct and I am looking to earn around £381 gross a week, which is around £416 in total when you include employers NI.

That would be if the 3 days were spread out which would mean finding work to fill the other two days could be harder, if the 3 days were together leaving a block of two then I would be happy to neg a slightly lower rate for the 3 days as I could top up my weekly earnings more easily hopefully.

I agree you would be looking to pay between £8-£12 gross an hr top end for a very experienced and qualified nanny ie - 10yrs plus experience.

You would pay about 20% less for a nanny bringing own child to work.

live in there is no min wage but around £250 gross for those hrs would be a rough figure

thomsonf Fri 12-Jun-09 21:27:31

Thanks for your responses. I had been budgeting on £10.50 an hour so it sounds like we are not too far off.

Another question if I may, what is the longest day we could reasonably ask a live out nanny to work before they would be put off? I have been thinking 11 as I thought that we would be the maximum but interested to know if anyone happily works 12?

nannynick Sat 13-Jun-09 00:23:24

I think that 11 hours is about the limit before it will start putting people off.
If it were say 12 hours one day, 8 hour next day, 12 hour next day that kind of thing, then it may suit some people.
It really depends on what each individual wants... some may like working say 3 long days per week, where as others will prefer 5 shorter days.

AtheneNoctua Mon 15-Jun-09 13:09:44

Agree with Nick. Our nanny works longer (12.5 hours per day usually). Occassionally less on Friday and quite often more with b-sitting. But, she is live in and so some of these paid hours are actually spent sleeping in her own bed. If she was live-out, it would be too much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now