Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

DS always comes back from CM with bright red nappy rash

(48 Posts)
likessleep Thu 11-Jun-09 19:37:16

He's in 2 days a week and every time, he comes back with bright red, very painful nappy rash (he screams whenever he even gets close to changing mat).

Any advice on what is the best way to deal with this?

I appreciate he will not get changed so quickly as when he is at home, I only look after him.

Plus, he does have really sensitive skin - if I've not been aware he's had a poo when I'm with him and his nappy has been inadvertently left on for a little while post-poo (so to speak!), his bum goes bright red. I guess I'm over-cautious, as I know he has such sensitive skin and he poos 2-3 times a day.

She's a fab childminder and I really don't want to offend her, but I don't want him as upset as he has been tonight and in so much discomfort. She is aware, as she mentioned today how sensitive his skin is and how his bum reacts to poo. So, I think she saw it before I picked him up.
Any words of advice really appreciated. I'm going to get some tea, but will log on later, thanks for reading.

BlueKangerooWonders Thu 11-Jun-09 19:46:05

my initial thought is that she actually isn't a fab childminder at all! She has to change him more frequently - end of story.

Littlepurpleprincess Thu 11-Jun-09 20:09:45

I dunno. DS has always suffered horrendous nappy rash, no matter how often we change or what we do. You say he has really sensitive skin so this must happen at home as well (?).

Just talk to her about it. She won't be offended if you say something like "he seems to be having a lot of bad nappy rash lately, do you mind changing or check more often?"

She will not mind, it's a perfectly reasonable request.

You could also try some preventative things as well. I put bepanthen on DS's bottom after each change, whether its red or not and this helps. And when he's having a bad time, I alternate bepanthen and sudocrem which clears it up quicker.

some children are prone to it, don't judge your CM on this, it's WAY ott. I would see how she reacts to you talking about it and if she makes the changes needed. If she didn't do anything about it, then I would worry.

I'd also be reasured that she mentioned it. It means she knows there is a problem and is informing you.

shoshe Thu 11-Jun-09 20:22:17

I had a little boy like this and he always seemed to poo, on the way back from the school run, he would only be in it fot ten minutes at the most, but would be sore, poor little love.

After talking to Mum, she asked me to put vasaline on his bottom each cahnge as a barrier. it worked.

KatyMac Thu 11-Jun-09 20:39:32

One of my mindees was allergic to the brand of wipes I used

likessleep Thu 11-Jun-09 20:54:30

thank you for posting.

littlepurpleprincess - he does get nappy rash at home, occasionally from time to time, but it seems to be worse and consistently worse, on the evenings and subsequent days after he's been minded. i do change him regularly as i've found in the past that he does react if not changed straightaway. and i always know when he does poo, as he i see him doing the deed. but he doesn't communicate, in any way, that he has pooed (like some kids get unhappy when they have a dirty nappy, he doesn't at all). i'm not judging my cm on this, it just seems to happen after he's been there and i'm not happy to see how bad the rash is, compared to when he's not been there, if that makes sense.

shoshe and katymac - thanks. i'll look into that.

i am going to talk to her and ask her to use metanium all of the time on him and say that he does seem very sore at the moment.
thanks for posting.

BeatrixRotter Thu 11-Jun-09 20:55:15

Would a childminder use cotton wool and water instead? That Weleda cream is expensive but is absolutely magic on bad nappy rash, for DD anyway.

likessleep Thu 11-Jun-09 21:06:06

she would do, if i asked, yeah.

dh said she may be using other nappies/wipes. we provide both, but the wipes never seem to go down and likewise, i always put in 6 nappies (just in case!) and he's come back with 5 today. his little book says two horrible nappies. i know there is something not quite right, as his poo is always sloppy and i'm starting to think it's not normal to poo 3 times a day and only have solid poos once a week or so. i guess if he has some form of food allergy, his likelihood to get sore is higher, as his poo will be more acid maybe.

i'm going to mention that he has been very sore recently, ask if she can use metanium all of the time as a matter of course and ask she uses water if/when he gets as sore again. she'll be fine with that i know.

maybe i have over-reacted, but seeing him in so much pain and distress tonight was tough. it hurt him to sit down in the bath. plus i am feeling pmt at the moment, so it probably isn't the best day. hey ho, i'll be more objective about it next week when i drop him off on tuesday.

KatyMac Thu 11-Jun-09 21:09:36

Put extra nappies in

Say you are seeing the dr about the nappy rash - can she change him extra frequently and use cream as you are trying to get on top of it, oh & could she write down when she changes him too

If it works - the problem is sorted

If it doesn't you have a problem

Pannacotta Thu 11-Jun-09 21:16:41

Agree with the others.
Also agree that the Weleda nappy cream is fantastic for sensitive skin and is good to use after every nappy change, whether a dirty one or not.
Also ask her to use the nappies and wipes you provide, she might use a very cheap brand of wipes which are too harsh for your DS.
Do you use wipes/nappies specially for sensitive skin?

likessleep Thu 11-Jun-09 21:16:51

thanks katymac - that's a great idea. cheers for posting.

KatyMac Thu 11-Jun-09 21:19:50

We ended up changing our child every 1.5 hours & couldn't understand why it was getting worse.......changed the wipes & it was sorted

holdingittogether Thu 11-Jun-09 21:20:29

Check what wipes she is using. Even though my parents send wipes I often end up using my own wipes especially when out and about.

likessleep Thu 11-Jun-09 21:25:38

thanks pannacotta.
i use huggies pure wipes. to be honest, i've tended to stick to those as they work fine and they don't contain alcohol. you're right - i need to just find out she is using what i'm providing and talk about it in a general way ie he is suffering with nappy rash recently, therefore i'd like to try to do xyz to see if that works. i'll try that weleda cream - metanium has been the only one we've used that seems effective, but i haven't tried weleda, so i'll give that a go.

thanks for advice. i didn't want it to come across as a criticism, as she is good. but i don't want it to continue either. thanks for posting - you've all helped me pull together my thoughts.

Littlepurpleprincess Thu 11-Jun-09 21:26:39

I understand how horrible it is. DS cries when I out him in the bath sometimes and says "pease don't change me!". It's heartbreaking. I hope it gets better soon.

likessleep Thu 11-Jun-09 21:31:20

thanks littlepurpleprincess. me too. he's lathered in metanium after his bath and i know this time tomorrow, he'll be fine again, with a few more heavy slap ons of cream with his changes. thank you smile

littlestarschildminding Thu 11-Jun-09 21:32:13

Just a quick one...metainium is a cream you should only really put on when a baby has nappy rash..it helps to heal..it isn't great as a barrier cream (eg preventing nappy rash) you need to get cm to use something greasier..vaseline etc

I have a LO who ALWAYS poos on school run and has to sit in it for the 15min journey home. EVERY DAY...she frequently ends up with nappy rash when she has been with me blush luckily mum is ok about it!!

A good CM wouldn't be offended if you speak to her about it.

Pannacotta Thu 11-Jun-09 21:35:15

Waitrose bottom butter (or whatever it is called!) is a great barrier cream, very soft and only natural ingredients.
Also do your Huggies wipes contain perfume or eg parabens? If so might be worth getting perfume free wipes with nautural ingredients and seeing if that makes any difference.
Nappy rash is really awful, very upsetting for a small child, hope you get it sorted...

likessleep Thu 11-Jun-09 21:36:02

thanks. i didn't know that (it does annoy me how thick it is, but it is the only thing that reduces the inflammation when he is sore). i'll pack up some vaseline and ask if she'd mind using that from now on and ask if she uses other wipes, as he has sensitive skin. thanks.

HighOnDieselAndGasoline Thu 11-Jun-09 21:36:56

Just to add, I find Bepanthen fantastic for nappy rash. Greasier than Metanium, which I think can be a bit drying.

I also second what everyone else said about the wipes.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll be able to sort it.

likessleep Thu 11-Jun-09 21:40:47

i'm so slow at replying, that i'm always one behind here grin
he's fine with huggies wipes at home though and i feel like i can 'manage' his soreness and get it under control (but as i say earlier, i know i change as soon as he does a poo, which i know isn't always feasible). just when he goes back again, it flares up. tonight it was particularly bad.
cheers for posting!

LadyBee Thu 11-Jun-09 21:41:48

likessleep I have this too, my CM is aware that sometimes she leaves him a bit longer than she should as she's out and about a bit more than I normally am on my days home with DS, she always tells me that he's developed some redness though and has been absolutely willing to discuss possible solutions. She suggested herself using vaseline as a barrier, I've given her extra nappies and asked in his book for her to change him more often than usual at the moment.
You mentioned that he's had some 'horrible nappies' - runny etc. Is he teething again or is that over for you? My DS gets horrid nappies and is quick to get rash regularly at the moment but he's got a lot of other teething symptoms, so I know the two things often come together now.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with discussing this with her.

DrEvil Thu 11-Jun-09 21:42:53

I went through that with ds1 and I found that tea tree oil worked fantastically if I left a poo on just a bit too long, the natural antiseptic seemed to really help.

The weleda calendula cream seemed to work brilliantly in between too.

I agree though that you should re emphasise to the cm how sore ds's poor old botty gets and that he needs to be changed very regularly.

likessleep Thu 11-Jun-09 21:51:14

it may be ladybee as he only has 4 teeth (feels like constant teething at points doesn't it and then no teeth emerge!).
i've only been back at work 3 months and it's been my first experience of having to ask for something. but i will say something and will look up those other products too. cheers

glitterstar88 Thu 11-Jun-09 21:53:50

I find bepanthen great too, DS1 never got nappy rash whilst i used it on him, apart from the time i picked him up from playschool to find a heavily soiled nappy hadn't been changed. His bottom was bright red and covered in blisters, he didn't even want to sit down in the car to go home because he was in so much pain. Bepanthen cleared it up really quickly though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now