Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Stupid CM questions.

(6 Posts)
SpringySponge Thu 11-Jun-09 14:01:51

I'm looking to finding a CM for my DS from September, as I'm going back to uni.

He will be 5 & a half months when I start back. Because it's uni & not a full-time job, I don't need loads of hours. I also don't currently know exactly when I'll need cover, but can probably get a better idea soon.

I'm just wondering how impossible a feat this is likely to be, & what would be considered a reasonable number of hours. I'm willing to pay for some extra time beyond my uni hours because I'll obviously have lots of other stuff to be getting on with, but don't want to have a 9-5 type arrangement.

Also, how do I find CMs? I've looked at a website listing some, but it says that it's not comprehensive. & from that list, it seems that I'll be struggling to even find someone with a place. Am I missing an obvious way of finding out who's around?

Booh Thu 11-Jun-09 14:20:33

The best thing is to just ring around, (you can find a list of minders near you on the childrens information service) or ask on here.

Not all childmidners want children full time, all of my younger mindees leave me by 4pm as their parents are teachers, and I love having the school hols free so I can spend time with my children.

Good luck

nannynick Thu 11-Jun-09 14:23:22

Every CM will vary as to how they operate... some may charge per hour, others by the session, others will charge per day.

Based on your Mumsnet profile, you need to contact Sheffield Information Link - 11 Leopold Street, S1 2GY Tel: (0114) 275 6699
Ask them for the latest Childminder Vacancy list.

SpringySponge Thu 11-Jun-09 15:06:29

Thank you - both very useful responses. Weill get in touch with SheffIL.

Also good to know that student hours may be an advantage to some

HSMM Thu 11-Jun-09 15:22:19

Don't just phone the CMs that have vacancies advertised, because a lot of CMs will have new vacancies in September when children start school. We all do different hours, so you just need to find someone to suit you.

SpringySponge Thu 11-Jun-09 16:43:09

Good point, thanks

(I love MN for things like this!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now