Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Quick question re childminding registration process....

(15 Posts)
gingertoo Thu 11-Jun-09 13:26:19

I'm just starting the registration process. I've had my briefings, have got the forms to fill in and have a place on a first aid course starting next week - so I was wondering, in your experience, how long does it take to become fully registered?

I'll tell you why I'm asking. Since mentioning that I'm going to become a childminder, I've had two people I know say that they would be interested in places for their dc's for September (start of the new school year) - Do you think that I've got any chance of getting registered by then??

And (sorry for so many questions!) how would you deal with the people that want me to mind their dc's? I obviously can't make a commitment until I'm registered BUT don't want them to go elsewhere if I'm going to be able to do it - what do you think?

nannynick Thu 11-Jun-09 13:37:42

Could be anywhere from 12 weeks to 9 months. It is really hard to tell... a lot can ride on how long it takes for CRB and other background checks to come back.

gingertoo Thu 11-Jun-09 13:55:30

That long?!
Didn't realise it would take that long...
Looks like September is going to be very unlikely
I asked the question at the briefing but they were vague in their reply, but if it varies that much I can see why?

What are other CM's experiences on this? Do you only start looking for prospective mindees once you have the reg doc in your hand or can you tell when you are nearing registration so you can start advertising etc?
Sorry for so many questions!

SillyMillysMummy Thu 11-Jun-09 16:28:36

from memory i beleive once the forms have been received by ofsted, as long as no problems, they quote 8-12 weeks, mine was 12. hth

SillyMillysMummy Thu 11-Jun-09 16:29:34

oh and I would be careful about the timescale you give prospective parents, after all better to lose them than to start off on the wrong foot iykwim

gingertoo Thu 11-Jun-09 16:45:37

Thanks SillyMillysMummy - hadn't thought of that - don't want to be letting people down before I even get started! I'll take the parents phone numbers and tell them I'll give them a quick call when I'm 'up and running' so they can let me know whether or not they are still interested.

atworknotworking Thu 11-Jun-09 18:52:49

If it helps you can actualy register (or at least send all the forms / paperwork off before you complete your course, as long as you have 1st aid etc, the introductory courses are usually about six - 8 weeks depending on your local LA rules, this saves time as some new minders think they have to do this first. As far as ofsted are concerned if your local authority requires you to do a course (not all do) it has to be completed within 6months of registration so technically you could be a registered minder before you start or even complete the course, a fellow minder of mine has a similar thing as you with prospective mindees lined up, she got round it by not charging until she was registered (asked parents to provide food) Not something I would do personally, but I'm a stickler for the rule book grin but it worked for her and she didnt lose out on the mindees.

tommypickles Thu 11-Jun-09 19:05:43

It took me about 6 months, it's usually the CRB that takes longest, apparently if you have moved lots or have had a few changes of name it takes longer for them to collect all the details hmm But from what I remember that was no fore warning of registration.....was waiting for certificate one day, not having any idea how long it would take, and it turns up the next. So with that in mind I wouldn't start seeing prospective parents unless their start is a long way off. If you then get registered sooner than you thought you could still take on someone temporary. But at least you won't find yourself having to turn parents away after promising them a place.

LaurenD Thu 11-Jun-09 19:10:36

Hi
I had my Ofsted registration visit today - all went ok thankfully and now am just waiting for CRB and health checks so that I can get started. Like atworknotworking said you do not have to have completed the DHC unit one before registering - I'd recommend sending your Ofsted reg form off asap (I sent off my form just before I started my first aid course and then arranged the inspectors visit for after I had completed the course). Interestingly the Oftsed inspector told me today that I can start minding before my certificate arrives BUT it can only be for two hours or less a day.
Hope this helps
Good luck

LaurenD Thu 11-Jun-09 19:12:25

P.S. Check with your GP's how long the healthcheck will take for them to complete - mine said 3 weeks all for the bargain price of £80 - bloody cheek!!!
x

gingertoo Fri 12-Jun-09 09:50:06

Thanks for your replies It looks like September is definitely going to be out of the question but at least I know! (I actually saw one of the prospective parents outside school this morning and told her that the registration would take longer than I thought - she said that she's going to be working from home so she'll be happy to wait for a place til I'm registered! grin )

I'm relieved to hear that the course does not have to be complete before registration (I've checked my paperwork and it says within 6 months of registration). I've been looking around for a course, but with the summer holidays looming, most have a start date in September.....

LaurenD - didn't know the health check would be so expensive!!

Another question if you don't mind - when you are taking on mindees - do you prefer part time or full time? For example if someone enquired about minding 2 hours per day (10am-12)Monday to Friday - would you take that on? Just wondered - I have a friend who only does full time minding - but obviously when I'm getting started, don't want to be turning work away!

Thanks again for your help

tommypickles Fri 12-Jun-09 09:58:33

bearing in mind if you take on one child for 2 hours in the middle of the day, you would probably find it impossible to fit another child/children in around them, also would depend on numbers I suppose

gingertoo Fri 12-Jun-09 13:23:18

Oh yes - I see what you mean. Hadn't thought of that - I'm definitely going to have to have a think about what hours I want to work and how I plan to fill them!

nannynick Fri 12-Jun-09 15:47:25

For under 5's, I would suggest you concentrate on finding full timers, or two who share a place (such as one doing 2 days, other doing 3 days). They will be your main income... which you then supplement with after-schoolers.

gingertoo Sat 13-Jun-09 10:37:46

Thanks nannynick - that sounds like a good idea. I can see now that by taking someone on for a couple of hours a day I would effectively be giving up a full time vacancy - leaving myself with odd times to fill! That's going to be worth bearing in mind....

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now