Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM's would you do this?

(13 Posts)
tommypickles Thu 11-Jun-09 08:46:48

Would you take a child in your care to her nursery school....that is miles away. It takes a bout 20 mins to get there, then of course I have to come home again and back and home again later. They don't pay me for the time he is there, they just wouldn't. Anyway once there, the carpark is a mud pit ( it's in the country).When it rains it is awful! It's also a fairly long walk from car park into the nursery. I slipped in it the other day so did mindee and then my fairly new car gets platered in mud. It get mud and dirt in it etc most days that I take him, just much worse on wet days. I have other children to take take on this ridiculous trip too, so lots of muddy feet everywhere. It's not just the inside of the car that's the problem, it's the wear and tear on it for the extra miles I have to do, and it's down little country roads, which other people speed down, outside of car get flithy too. Just got really annoyed with it the other day when it was bad, and started to think, I don't get paid for this, I have to clean the car all the time and for what?? Think I probabaly just wanted to let off steam, but would any other cm's do this for their parents.

Littlepurpleprincess Thu 11-Jun-09 08:49:59

I only do school/nursery runs within walking distance. so no.

idranktheteaatwork Thu 11-Jun-09 08:57:55

Why aren't you getting paid for it? I don't understand.
It's up to you to negotiate what you feel is a fair wage and it's up to any of your clients to either agree and use your services or disagree and go elsewhere.

Also, do you not claim your business miles etc with HMRC?

If you're not happy with it don't do it.

KatyMac Thu 11-Jun-09 08:58:33

I used to

I stopped as it was all too complicated (I finished the child I had & refused t take on new children who wanted that)

holdingittogether Thu 11-Jun-09 09:26:56

I wouldn't but then I have my own children so only take and collect from their school and would do the local preschool too which my own son will be attending soon. If I had no other school runs to do that might be different but I would expect payment for the whole day I think.

atworknotworking Thu 11-Jun-09 09:29:26

I wouldn't do it, if you work out how many miles you are doing, fuel, wear & tear on your car, all the extra cleaning hmm so ok you can claim milage back, but if you aint getting paid in the first place not a lot of point IMO. Despite that if it takes 20min each way thats 4 trips so 1hr 20mins possibly more in the car, If I was a parent I wouldn't want my child sitting in a car that length of time each day, One of our parents wanted something similar which meant 2 other mindees would be in the car for 40-50min each morning we point blank refused, told them parents pay us to care for children not sick them in a car seat for most of the am session, that one found someone else hmm who would do it. I have yet to find anything in the welfare requirements that implies this is beneficial to development.

BradfordMum Thu 11-Jun-09 10:04:48

Why on earth do you not get paid while they are there?!
Do they pay petrol costs or pay for your travelling time?!

JenniPenni Thu 11-Jun-09 11:04:44

I did an inconvenient school run for 3 days then told the parents it was too disruptive (interfered with feeding and sleep times), and if weather was bad it would be intolerable - I have 3/4 little ones in my care and couldn't justify lessening my care for them whilst taking care of the older child's school run.

The parents understood and got a family member to do the school runs. Much better!

Re them not paying you for the time he is there - what about inset days? School holidays? Are you the emergency contact, or are they? I would want some kind of payment for this.

Don't do it - you'll only get resentful over time. Nip it in the bud now and say it's not working out for the others in your care.

looneytune Thu 11-Jun-09 13:57:51

NO WAY!

moshie Thu 11-Jun-09 18:07:25

There's no way I would agree to this. For a start I would want paying for the time the child is in nursery, if the parents don't agree to this, then I don't take the child.
You are self-employed so should be working to your terms, not the parents.
I'm currently taking a child to nursery outside my usual area and so the parents are paying a little extra, otherwise I wouldn't have agreed to it.

Numberfour Thu 11-Jun-09 18:37:12

absolutely not

thesilverlining Thu 11-Jun-09 19:49:24

no way - you should be getting paid while they are at nursery at least a half fee retainer. And no - I wouldn't do this - too much aggro and not fair on other mindees / own kids

RosieGirl Thu 11-Jun-09 20:28:24

No Way - even after caring for a mindee for 4 years and was caring for his sister, he started school 20 minutes away, there isn't a car park at the school, which would have mean't taking 2/3 little ones along a main road in all weathers. I sincerely apologised but explained why I couldn't pick him up expecting to loose the business, but they worked it out themselves and I still his sister and also him in the holidays and will be taking on their 3rd in September. We still have a good relationship and hopefully the fact that I explained the impact on other children showed them that I cared about them, I wasn't in it for extra money.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now