Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM CLUB - ADVICE NEEDED

(6 Posts)
coolj Wed 10-Jun-09 21:05:39

I hope some of you lovely CMs/Nannynick might be able to solve a problem.

I have looked after a mindee for the past couple of years. His mum is a single parent teenager and just finished a college course where the Care2Learn scheme paid for the childcare. They have only paid up until end of June.

She starts university in September and childcare will thereafter be paid by student finance.

Has anyone any ideas who could pay for a retainer fee so that her place could be kept open. Last year I did without for 3 months but I really cant afford to do that this year. I assume if C2L scheme carried on paying uni childcare then they would pay a retainer but as its a different fee provider I dont know whose responsibility it would be.

She couldnt possible afford it on her own.

I really want to keep the place open for continuity of care.

any advice gratefully received.

mrspnut Wed 10-Jun-09 21:09:58

Is there a hardship fund at either the college she is leaving or the university that she's going to?

Are there any charities in your area that help families in hardship (I know of 2 in Lincolnshire but not sure where you are).

Perhaps ask at the local sure start for sources of funding.

atworknotworking Wed 10-Jun-09 21:24:08

Just a suggestion could you not adjust your fees in September to take into account the 3months so you will be without for a bit, but make up for it later, also do student finance only pay for term time and reduced care during holidays? I had a feeling this is what happened, might be worth checking before you commit.

coolj Wed 10-Jun-09 21:43:55

Thanks for your replies. She is sending the form off tomorrow so I guess we will wait and see.

I dont think she can get help mrspnut as we tried to get funds last year to no avail.

Any more suggestions?

Littlepurpleprincess Thu 11-Jun-09 08:54:18

I would contact Uni ASAP. There will be a hardship fund but it will be limited, like first come first serve, so you got be quick. Maybe thats why you didn't get money last year? Just an idea.

BradfordMum Thu 11-Jun-09 10:10:08

Care 2 learn pay me full fees for 52 weeks a year.
I would have expected whoever will begin paying you in sept to pay a summer retainer.
Do they have a website?
Can you ask your network co-ordinaror to source fundsfor you? (if you are a member of NCMA I would phone them too for advice)

Hope this helps.

Sally x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now