Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Paying CM for term time only work - how does it work?

(9 Posts)
CapricaSix Wed 10-Jun-09 20:12:57

Would I pay her for literally only the hours she does, or would I need to pay her a certain amount during school holidays too?

TIA

Blackduck Wed 10-Jun-09 20:14:19

Mine is paid year round....

ramonaquimby Wed 10-Jun-09 20:15:20

up to the childminder really - there are lots that like term time only arrangements, I have one. I pay her for the 38 or 39 weeks of teaching, but spread over 52 weeks so she has a steady income. guess she can't budget or something (tongue in cheek here before cms come to her defence......)

CapricaSix Wed 10-Jun-09 20:30:41

hmm. i am deliberately changing my working pattern (if work say yes) to cut my child care costs!

atworknotworking Wed 10-Jun-09 20:54:53

Hi Blackduck us CM's are all very different in how we work, it's a case of flexibility which CM's tend to be better than Nurseries at (no offence luv em grin)

I have 3 mindees term time only those mindees pay during term time for the sessions they book. However if they need Holiday Club care I can't guarantee availability as I have more mindees than spaces IYSWIM as some are Holiday Club only. That's how I do it. But my minder friend does it completely different she charges full fee during term time and 1/2 fee during holidays (to keep the space) even though mindees don't attend, if those term time mindees need holiday care she also does not guarantee a space, but if she has then they pay full fee when they are there.

I would discuss what you need when you get in touch with CM's, quite a few only do term time care anyway, so you may get lucky without having to change your work pattern.

I don't charge a retainer during the holidays which means I can often fill the place with holiday only mindees - if I charged a retainer I would have to be available and therefore couldn't take other children on IYSWIM. I work it out over 12 months, which means I have a steady income even when I don't have the child and the parent's costs are 'less' than they would be if I charged week on week. Ramon - you are right, can't budget to save my life grin.

Some will, some won't - you need to ring around. Do you use a cm at the moment.

CapricaSix Wed 10-Jun-09 23:55:32

Thanks. I won't be changing CM, she knows my plans but we haven't discussed the money side of things yet so I'm not sure how she does it.

Let's hope it's like you, atworkingnotworking!

CapricaSix Thu 11-Jun-09 09:35:29

I have another question. I would be switching from 3 days a week all year round to 4 days a week term time only. I suppose that means if I do have to pay half pay in the holidays or something, I would be paying for the four days a week? This might not even be worth my while...

aaaagh so frustrating! I really don't think i'm going to be able to afford the child care all year round!!

CapricaSix Thu 11-Jun-09 16:36:06

hmm well all change here- am going to ask work if i can finish earlier so dd can go to an after school club at another school (they have a walking bus). i would need to finish just 15 mins earlier!

Will be a relief - and half the price - to finish with the cm tbh. never thought i'd ever prefer the thought of an after school club to a cm!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now