Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

DISGUSTING!

(16 Posts)
Supernanny19 Wed 10-Jun-09 20:07:35

GUMTREE ARE SUPPORTING SLAVE TRADE.
50 POUNDSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVEN IF IT IS AN AP POSITION THATS SLAVERY!!!!!! MON-FRI 8-P PSML!!!!!!!!!

The family consists of Mum and Dad, who work full time - sometimes from home. We have two children, 8 years and 18 months. Both children are very lovely, lively and a delight to be around.

The role is Monday - Friday 8am - 6pm .Hours are usually reduced and flexible.

Start Date: Now.

Duties:
* take care of the children.
* Taking and pick up my son to school nearby.
* Very light house keep .

The following are a must:
* Non-smoker
* Provide full references and criminal records.
* Provide a CV.
* Be available for at least one interview.
* Legally resident in the UK.

We will provide:

*A lovely newly decorated Single bedroom on own floor overlooking the garden.
*A television and DVD player and free view.
*Wireless connection.
*Food and drink.
*Very good family environment.

* Our location is great for colleges.

* salary £50 + weekly bus pass.

PaulaAtMummyKnowsBest Wed 10-Jun-09 21:25:07

oh my god

I hope you reported it to gumtree.

That is truly awful.

atworknotworking Wed 10-Jun-09 21:27:00

50 quid and a bus pass shock what a package!

ahappymummy Wed 10-Jun-09 21:29:16

What a F&^*** liberty!!
What kind of childcare do they expect for that kind of pay for christs sake?

idranktheteaatwork Wed 10-Jun-09 21:30:03

clearly they are stoopid, if they were clever they would get a monthly bus pass cos it's cheaper innit.

Missuseff Wed 10-Jun-09 22:00:25

that has GOT to be a typo! even when I was a teenage babysitter I got more than £50 a week!

NeedaNewName Wed 10-Jun-09 22:06:32

You would be amazed at what some people ask for / want to pay

I really dont think that they realise they need a nanny. Of course if anything terrible happens to the children whilst the AP is in charge it will be all her fault, nothing to do with the fact that the parents wont pay for a professional

This is what happened to Louise Woodward. Although everyone kept referring to her as the British nanny, she was an au paid and should never have been left in sole charge of those children.

kikid Wed 10-Jun-09 22:11:20

careful with these, often they are scammers, giveaways are generally no area specified, local colleges means nothing..
iyswim
lots of ads copied and written from nigeria.

lobsters Wed 10-Jun-09 22:14:23

Surely the scam would only work if it attract replies, they would have been better adding at least one nought to the salary to attract replies

kikid Wed 10-Jun-09 22:18:41

replies come from desperate girls unfortunately..

nannynick Wed 10-Jun-09 22:27:36

It's legal as it is live-in. National Minimum Wage does not apply to live-in jobs, due to the accommodation having a value.

* Legally resident in the UK.

Does that mean they don't want someone from abroad... bit strange. Maybe they meant someone who could legally work in the UK, in which case it is up to them to check that applicants meet immigration rules.

it must be a misprint - I've seen some shockers on gumtree but I cannot believe someone would seriously only offer £50 hmm

NeedaNewName Wed 10-Jun-09 23:33:19

Bet its not a mis print - believe it that is what some people are willing to pay for the full time care of their children.

apotomak Thu 11-Jun-09 01:44:59

First of all au pair does not get a salary. She gets pocket money. Au pair comes here to learn a language and experience culture. She is just a helper and should not be left in sole charge of small children. She can work for up to 5 hours a day 5 days a week.
If you think £60 of pocket money (that's what HO sugested last year) plus the cost of room (lets say £70 per week) plus food (lets say £20 each week) and divide it by 25 hours of her help that works out £6 an hour which I don't think is bad.

The problem is that those people need a nanny and not an au pair who would work 50 hours each week. I don't think they realise it ... or maybe they're just ignorant.

The 'legally resident in UK' bit I guess they meant to say they want somebody who is already in the country (so they can meet them in person) but don't want somebody with the wrong sort of visa or no visa at all (if it's required for that particular national).

frAKKINPannikin Thu 11-Jun-09 08:45:39

I really, really don't want to rehash the au pairs are employees debate but:

1. Au pairs are now employees with contracts etc so really families can offer what they want as it's exempt from NMW. If someone wants to work those hours for £50 a week and signs a contract to that effect then fine.

2. The motivation for coming is usually the language and culture but they are employed to do a job, in this case childcare and light house-keeping.

3. They can work as long as they want, there is no legal limit (although there are guidelines).

4. Au pairs can have sole charge, it's just not recommended for young children because they're not trained, they may not have the level of english to deal with an emergency and there are concerns about children's linguistic development if left all day with someone who doesn't speak the language correctly. Obviously if they were speaking in their home language that's fine but it could be damaging for young children to hear very incorrect english/french/japanese when their brains are trying to make sense of language.

That doesn't make it fair, it's not in the spirit of 'being an au pair' and £50 a week is ridiculous for what they're expecting. Besides which when is an au pair supposed to go to college if she's looking after an 18 month old all day, every day?

They need a nanny but don't want to admit it.

catepilarr Thu 11-Jun-09 21:22:48

i dont want to rehash either but feel i need to note that 'Au pairs are now employees ' is some people's view of things and that other view it differently.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now