Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminder reported to Ofstead involuntarily!

(41 Posts)
aliperi Wed 10-Jun-09 14:29:58

Hi I have a BIG problem

I'm happy with my childminder. However, I did raised with her a concern and she belittled it....

I phoned Ofstead to ask what should I do? and they say it is their duty to investigate and so they are going to take it further even though I didn't want them to!

My childminder is going to know it's me as I'm the ony one that complained.

My concer is she is childminding in a different house to the one she is registered in and she has lodgers living there. I don't like the idea of my child being with people I don't kno and they all have keys to the house while the kids are there they can come in an out.

What will happen next? I feel awful now...but I wasn't happy with her response and thought I would ask Ofsted if it was 'normal'

nannynick Wed 10-Jun-09 14:45:17

That would be a breach of the rules I feel... so not surprised Ofsted is going to investigate.

Can't work out why the CM would be childminding from that home... I take it that it was more than just a quick visit to collect something.

I suspect she will be able to guess as to how Ofsted found out about it. But I do not feel you are wrong to mention it to her... and following not be satisfied with her response asking Ofsted for their view.

balijay Wed 10-Jun-09 14:45:26

I'm in the process of registering at the mo and am sure Ofsted would not allow this. If you change the address you childmind from then you must inform Ofsted - this is a legal requirement, likewise if you take in a lodger, as they would all need to be CRB checked. You are right to be concerned so please don't feel bad. I'm sure someone more knowledgable will be along with advice shortly...

muddleduck Wed 10-Jun-09 14:47:03

TBH I would starting looking around for other CMs. I can't seen that this is going to end well so it would be best to be prepared. IMO you need your CM to be completely honest and to treat your concerns with respect and you should not have to settle for a CM where this is not the case.

Missuseff Wed 10-Jun-09 14:48:37

Stand your ground - you are right and she is wrong! I had a situation similar to this last year and it was stressful but for the best.

You could also ring your local CIS - most Local Authorities have a dedicated Childminder liaison and they want to know this kind of stuff, can be a helpful ear.

aliperi Wed 10-Jun-09 14:55:19

she has been doing CM for 26 years and has a good reputation with parents. She has 2 houses, but has redecorated her house and decided to do her childminding from the one she has the lodgers in Full-time. I drop my child in there everyday and this house is not registered is the other one.
When I told her my concerns she said they are all very nice people (the lodgers) and she can hear them coming in and out. I see different people every few weeks, men women of all ages and feel very uneasy about it and the fact she is lying to Ofsted!
But there is no other childcare available until September (already checked) and she is a lovely woman...she is not doing this out of malice I'm sure.

will she get a surprise visit or what will Ofsted do, I'm so worried she'll think I'm a 2-faced cow now!

growingup Wed 10-Jun-09 14:57:33

Message withdrawn

tommypickles Wed 10-Jun-09 14:59:04

it's totally not allowed! And I would also look for somewhere else......what area do you live?

Greensleeves Wed 10-Jun-09 15:00:40

Lovely woman she may be, but the rules are there to protect children, and she knew that when she registered. She's breaking the law and it needs to stop. She can't possibly know her lodgers well enough to vouch for them 100% - and she's not entitled to do so anyway.

Very difficult and awkward for you sad but I think you need to stick to your guns now, you may like her personally but she is in the wrong here, not you.

LittlePaws Wed 10-Jun-09 15:01:46

You shouldn't feel awful, she needed reporting its completely wrong.

aliperi Wed 10-Jun-09 15:03:26

thank you guys, I have never been 100% sure but 2 friends highly recommended her. Thing is I checked all childcare available and there is nothing until September :-(

She is registered to cm from the address on her registration certificate, which should be displayed for all to see - that is the address Ofsted have inspected to make sure it is suitable. Any adults that come into regular contact with mindees - even grandparents of our own children, if they visit more than a couple of times a week - must be CRB checked. As a cm and a parent, I feel very uncomfortable with this situation - what she is doing is illegal and in breach of the Welfare Requirements of EYFS - you have done right to bring it to Ofsted's attention.

They will prbably visit unannounced to investigate. I would be inclined to tell her that you've been in touch with Ofsted for advice as you weren't happy with her explanation and you are concerned about the welfare of your children around these people when she minds from the other property.

Don't feel guilty - imagine how you would feel if you hadn't brought it to their attention and something happened.....
Good luck.

Missuseff Wed 10-Jun-09 15:09:54

Yeah - wait - I thought that anyone over the age of 18 living in the CM house/setting has to be CRB checked??? Or is that just family members? Either way - I do appreciate how stressful this must be for you.

Are you certain there aren't any vacancies until Sept? Did your CIS give you a list of vacancies? Because they can! (Sorry if this isn't helpful - I live in SW London so we have about 35 CM in the area but appreciate that you may live somewhere less CM-rich!)

muddleduck Wed 10-Jun-09 15:10:25

how have you checked what childcare is available?
Both my current and previous CMs (both fabuous) were found via word of mouth - neither were listed as having vacancies.

SusieDerkins Wed 10-Jun-09 15:11:25

You did absolutely the right thing.

atworknotworking Wed 10-Jun-09 15:11:27

If your CM has two properties and she is living in the other whilst her main home and registered address is undergoing improvements, she should have notified Ofsted in writing carrying out a full risk asessment with a time scale for works, asked parental permission (in writing) and waited for Ofsted to agree to this temporary situation. I do however have doubts that they would agree to this as the minding premises is basically a lodging house from what you have said, and all people in a minded property must be police checked, the keyholder situation would also bother me as any tom, dick or harry could easily gain access which means that the minded children would possibly be put at risk.

I understand that you feel awkward in the circumstances, but as a parent I would not agree to this arangement at all, the logers may well be lovely, then again they may not, despite that if your CM has not followed correct proceedures I would have concerns about other things as well.

I agree with tommypickles would find somewhere else asap and not take my child there again.

atworknotworking Wed 10-Jun-09 15:16:07

Sorry, just read your op again - is your CM working from lodger house, and living in the newly decorated one?

Or is she having it decorated?

Anyone 16 and over has to have an enhanced CRB check if they either live in the house or are regular visitors

aliperi Wed 10-Jun-09 15:20:30


She finished works in her registered house 6 months ago, I think beause it is nicely done she doesn't want the children to mess it.

I'm glad I wasn't just exagerating or being over-paranoid

nannynick Wed 10-Jun-09 15:36:14

>She finished works in her registered house 6 months ago!

Hardly a case of temporary premises then (and a temp premises would need Ofsted approval).

NUNNY - is that a cross between a Nun and an in-home childcarer grin

aliperi Wed 10-Jun-09 15:57:12

hehehe I meant a nanny I'm not fro the UK blush

plimple Wed 10-Jun-09 16:00:41

You are right to report her. She must have an Ofsted check at the lodging house and all occupants must be CRB cleared.

FlappytheBat Wed 10-Jun-09 16:08:20

As others have said, you were right to report her.

All people over 16 have to have checks performed if they are living in a house that children are being cared for.

Doesn't sound like she has had any checks done, if she is personally vouching for her lodgers.

growingup Wed 10-Jun-09 17:18:29

Message withdrawn

childminder90210 Wed 10-Jun-09 18:15:39

Maybe someone on here could help you out with your childcare situation, lots of CMs on here have vacnancies and also will have other friends who CM who may be able to help. You did the right thing, she will be well aware she shouldnt be cm'ing from a different address and as already stated any adults staying in the house have to be CRB checked. Best of luck with what sounds like a stressful situation for you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now