Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Best double pushchair??????

(27 Posts)
tommypickles Wed 10-Jun-09 14:16:40

Which is the best double/ twin / tandem pushachair??

Need to get one very soon, think I would prefer side by side, so with that in mind it'll have to be narrow.....which ones do you all like??

Please help smile

chickers Wed 10-Jun-09 14:25:02

Phil and Teds are awesome

Sam100 Wed 10-Jun-09 14:26:29

Out n About nipper for me. Not too wide - light considering how sturdy it is.

leonifay Wed 10-Jun-09 14:34:05

i use the mothercare basic £100 one. i find it does the job and its not that heavy. that being said i dont do a great deal of walking, i just use it for the school run

I use the Graco tandem - has been fab, easy to push too

bumpyboo Wed 10-Jun-09 15:57:40

If you change your mind and want a tandem one then the Jane Powertwin is the best. I could go on and on about its great qualities so its probably best for you to google it yourself!

LouMacca Wed 10-Jun-09 16:16:45

Defo Out n About Nipper for me too. I walked a lot when the children were babies/toddlers and it was a joy to push, so lightweight and easy to manoeuvre.

LittleMissBliss Wed 10-Jun-09 16:20:58

I have found when rerearching that the Jane power twin and out n about nipper are the best both light weight. We will be getting a Jane power twin.

Not a fan of Phil and Teds. Don't like the idea of a child being so close to the ground and having a view of the back of the above seat or shoes! Saying that they sell well so some people love them.

LittleMissBliss Wed 10-Jun-09 16:23:29

If you want to read some reviews on pushchairs kiiddiecare.com is great to get a 'feal' of a product. Plus they have videos of how to assemble the chairs which is useful to see before you choose one.

tommypickles Wed 10-Jun-09 16:28:31

thank you all, I have had tandem Graco, hate it! I have Jane Powertwin....don't like that either....am trying to sell it at the moment! Does anyone like the side by side maclaren?

IwishIwasamermaid Wed 10-Jun-09 16:32:25

I have a Maclaren twin Techno, its fab. I can get through most doors (only one so far that I can't is our own front door hmm

Its not too heavy, I was out pushing it a week after my section with no problems. I walk everywhere and I've found it really good.

LouMacca Wed 10-Jun-09 16:32:41

Hi. I originally had the Maclaren, was ok when mine were babies but as they got older it was just too heavy. Invested in the Nipper when they were about 10 months old.

admur Thu 11-Jun-09 11:28:20

iCandy Pear, absolutely brilliant! Not much bigger than a single buggy, but great for twins or dissimilar age kids. We use for 2 year old & 3 month old.

abigproblem Thu 11-Jun-09 20:29:49

i have a nipper double used for 18 months 5 years old if anybody wants it £50 plus postage

Jackmummy Thu 11-Jun-09 20:35:07

I found the maclaren double the heaviest pushchair ever.
I'm used to pushing a tandam and the first time I took the maclaren out my forearms ached within no time! I also found getting up a curb impossible and steering hard.
I used it while I had 2 under ones as I needed a double recliner, but sold it as soon as I could use my tandam again.
A horrible buggy, which is strange because i love the single maclaran.

tommypickles Thu 11-Jun-09 21:12:59

well I've just bought a cosatto duet lite, it seemed to look like what I needed, compact with comfy seats so I'll see how that goes. Anyone used one?

Is that the tandem one tommypickles? If so then I've not heard good things about them sorry! Very heavy and not v roomy for the children.

Another vote for Nipper twin from me - you can get a good bargain one from Ebay if you aren't fussed about having brand new

JudyBlume1019 Fri 12-Jun-09 00:27:07

I agree with everyones problerms with p & T, i.e underneath child too low down, crap view, ignored etc etc, but OMG for my sanity it was and is amazing, it's like having a single buggy, you can nip along busy streets, go in to narrow shop doorways etc etc, you are not at all restricted. Depends where you live I guess, and when you're likely to use it.

kitkatqueen Fri 12-Jun-09 00:35:27

I had a Cosatto duet lite last time and I wouldn't buy another.

When u have a toddler in the front its v hard to push one handed even for a second without veering off sideways, heavy to steer because the heavy toddler is sitting above the turning wheels and also the front wheels on mine would lock against one another if i went backwards and then tried to go forwards - it was like hitting a brick wall.
You can't click a carseat on it either.

It was light weight and folded down to nothing with lots of lay down room for the baby too. But to be honest - never again.

This time i'm looking for a rear facing double inline that can take a carseat too!

lynniep Sat 20-Jun-09 17:36:35

I'm actually after a tandem, I need it to be cheap really (I'll probably get it 2nd hand on ebay anyway though) and I just wondered if anyone had tried

1) safety 1st duodeal (I had a go of this in John Lewis the other day - both cheap and you can slot a maxi-cosi cabrio car seat into the back - although thats not actually a feature it was quite sturdy enough to do that)

2) Graco Stadium Duo

3)Jane twin two (just cos theres on one ebay in my area at the mo!)

But other suggesetions would be great!

I will have a newborn and a 2.8 year old.
Will need it for trips to nursery and back (about a half hour-40 minute round trip) and for day trips. Toddler is on the larger end of the size spectrum and weighs about 15kg now, so bit more come November.

I'd like to be able to slot a car seat in it, but it doesnt have to be an 'official' fit if you see what I mean - as I said above my car seat seemed to slot easily into the safety first without worry about it falling out - although the weight of that + baby + toddler may be an issue.

I'm not so worried about basket acessiblity/size.
I would like a recline on the front seat but its not essential. I'm 5'5".
I am concerned with maneuverability.
I really hate prams that are 'sticky'.We have a fairly big car boot (nissan tino)

apotomak Sun 21-Jun-09 02:48:11

lynniep if I can say something ... scrap eBay and go to a big car boot sale instead. You'll have the option of looking at and trying the puschair before deciding to buy and OMG they are so much cheaper there ... and you can always haggle. I wanted to get a Jane myself ... but with eBay prices going well over £120 for a well used one I'm well cured from it. It's not worth it as your 2.8 year old will soon want to walk everywhere (my daughter decided to ditch the pushchair at 3 when she started nursery - she was just 'too grown up to use it' she said) ... maybe you'll need to get a buggy board soon too.

alibubbles Sun 21-Jun-09 11:13:19

I've had a fair few in 23 years of minding, Maclaren Twin, Marco sky, Out and about twin nipper, Bebe Confort when my own were little and many more that I hated.

Il ove my P&T and would love to get the new one, but can't justify changing it for the sake of it!

lynniep Mon 22-Jun-09 10:02:41

hi apotomak - thanks for advice smile

problem is I've never seen a decent double buggy in the car boots around here. Any buggies I see are usually (very) manky and whilst v. cheap, I'd rather pay £40-50 for one in decent condition than £15 for a really gross one.

Its not an issue really to try them out as I have kiddicare relatively nearby - Its just that when you try them out in the shop, you don't necessarily get the whole picture. (thats why I'd like to know if anyone has the safety first, which I did try in the shop, albeit without the toddler in it (and definately no baby yet!!)

The problem with my toddler is that yes he wants to walk everywhere, but its not practical to walk him to and from nursery.

I'm still condsidering 'attachments', but even with a buggy board/bike seat type thing, he's not strapped down. The route is past a dangerous road and he is not a child that will happily hold on to a pram (say what you will about me not being able to control the kid - but thats just the way it is - he wants to be off exploring <sigh> - he does that now, but I dont have another baby to worry about at the mo)

So for the sake for forking out a bit more dosh for more stuff to fill up our already jampacked garage, I am now starting to think about the double buggy option.

melmog Mon 22-Jun-09 10:24:01

A definate convert to the p&t here. Was really dubious because of all the negative feedback about the child underneath being too close to the wheels, ground, exhausts and with no view, but it's brilliant.
Dd1 2.9 went in the front happily til about a month ago, dd2 15months was always happy in the back. Now put the little one in front while dd1 walks, when she's tired she hops underneath and often goes to sleep there.
Living in a hilly town with narrow paths I've found it a lifesaver. There is no way that any of the side by side ones would fit on the paths, let alone go though the post office door. Storage is a bit iffy but I've always managed. Very light to fold/unfold and push. Uphill, with boths girls in and can still push it one handed!

Jackmummy Mon 22-Jun-09 10:33:07

lynniep I have the graco stadium duo and I quite like it. I tried the maclaran and had to get rid as was horrible.
I got the graco online for about £80 new... just google graco stadium duo... think the shop I found was glasgow pram stores.
You can actually fit the graco car seat into the front or back seat (as in properly clip it in) although they only ever advertise that you can do this in the back! Both seats recline, although only back goes flat.
It is big folded... but so is my single graco!
Also the graco car seats can be used with the in car base, so makes getting them in and out very easy.
I guess it is heavy with two children, but all doubles are. It goes up and down curbs easily and swivle wheels makes it easy to turn.
I think its good value for money and I've owned two... first one second hand and replaced with a new one. (not because old one broke, more it was looking rather tatty!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now