Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Au Pairs and the rate of the Euro!

(8 Posts)
4gotoindia Wed 10-Jun-09 04:58:03

Hi there au pair experts,
We're in the process of trying to recruit an aupair, and are using Au PAir World. From what I've read online it seems that about £70 per week is about the going rate (we're in SE, for 25 hours). But we've asked au pairs what they are expecting (in a list of other questions) and a couple have given a figure in Euros.
I guess what I'm asking is whether people are sticking to their standard rates (as their expenses haven't changed) or whether the weak pound is leading to au-pair-inflation?
Thanks
4gotoindia

PixiNanny Wed 10-Jun-09 09:09:14

Don't ask the AP, she'll always go above if she thinks you'll do it grin Seriously though, £70/80 seems to be the normal amount in the UK in the less city-like areas. Less in London and Cambridge I hear.

I'm having the problem at the moment that I'm after a job in Europe and I'm loosing out if I go over there really.

BonsoirAnna Wed 10-Jun-09 09:11:52

If you are recruiting an AP to work in the UK, you need to pay her in sterling. That is the law. Maybe APs quote in Euros when they are happy to go to many countries?

Millarkie Wed 10-Jun-09 15:58:09

I agree with Pixi - don't ask them how much they want - tell them how much you are offering. (We pay £85 for up to 25 hours (mostly less hours though) plus car and a few other bits), but we are rural south-eastern)

DadInsteadofMum Thu 11-Jun-09 09:50:29

Most of their expenditure will be in sterling so quote in sterling, I certainly haven't adjusted pay for the weak pound.

Not sure if Anna is quite right about legally having to pay in sterling though I have paid in Euros when they are about to go home or when we are on holiday, I think if both parties agree then it is acceptable.

4gotoindia Sat 13-Jun-09 06:16:46

Thanks for this. Its funny, I only put in a question re how much they were expecting to get because that was on a list I got from this forum! I'll take it off!
Mrs4

Millarkie Sat 13-Jun-09 12:13:13

Was the list designed for nannies? I always ask nannies how much they expect but not au pairs.

DrEvil Sat 13-Jun-09 16:24:19

I had on my list of questions one that asked how much she anticipated being paid per week but it was really to see how realistic they were about being an au pair and it had no impact on the figure I offered.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now