Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Should a 23mnth old be able to say more than one word?

(9 Posts)
Bern1e Tue 09-Jun-09 21:47:33

I currently mind a 23mnth old girl who doesn't talk. She will sound out a few words but does not put 2 together. I have done a few simple hearing tests and I don't think there is a problem with her ears.

Just wondered if this was normal.

I also mind a 25month old who can speak in sentences.

hmm

mears Tue 09-Jun-09 21:53:24

Every child develops at their own rate. My DS1 said single words when he was 2 1/4 years old. 4 days later after having DS2, when I came home he spoke in sentences. DS2 did not speak well until at least 3 yrs old. There was concern because he had meningitis as a baby, but all came right in the end. One of the things I was told to avoid was 'forcing' him to speak ie maing him ask for juice for example. That can make the situation worse. If he could have said it he would have. Was adised to read lots of sstories with him. He is now nearly 20yrs aold and has no problems with speech.

snickersnack Tue 09-Jun-09 21:55:25

ds is 2 in a couple of weeks. He has only just this last few days started putting 2 words together: "more xx" and "no Mummy". He has quite a few words, but most of them are quite indistinct unless you know him well. He has a hearing problem, which is being dealt with, but the SALT doesn't seem unduly concerned.

maqrollelgaviero Tue 09-Jun-09 22:00:19

I don't think ds2 said anything at 23 months! Tbh he is now 27 months and has only started linking 2 words together, hello mummy, blue car etc and really only I can understand him.

Hv referred us to the speech therapist and her opinion was the same as mine, he cannot be bothered! I expect he'll do it when he's ready as will your mindee, they're all different.

Bern1e Tue 09-Jun-09 22:01:05

Brill thank you. It's hard not to worry isn't it, but as you say they all seem to get there in the end.

My 22 month old barely speaks, he's just about starting to say a word or two, and not "properly" at all.

He says yes "eh"
No is a grunt and a shake of the head
All gone is " ah gon" with a funny hand movement, no idea why as we don't do baby signing or anything.

He makes lots of animal noises and occasionally tries to say car if given encouragement, but he's really taking his time.

Scarfmaker Tue 09-Jun-09 22:01:43

I wouldn't say it was "normal", but also wouldn't say it was abnormal. At this age there is such a variation on how many words, sounds a child can make. Everything could be going in and then maybe in another couple of months will suddenly come out when the child is more able to speak.

Does she understand when asked to do something or for instance, go and get so and so book? If she does, I wouldn't worry but maybe note your concerns in her record book.

If things are still the same in a couple of months I would mention to parents to see if they had noticed.

I don't think speech therapists etc. would get involved until the child is around 3 and a half, 4 years old.

Scarfmaker Tue 09-Jun-09 22:05:58

I wouldn't say it was "normal", but also wouldn't say it was abnormal. At this age there is such a variation on how many words, sounds a child can make. Everything could be going in and then maybe in another couple of months will suddenly come out when the child is more able to speak.

Does she understand when asked to do something or for instance, go and get so and so book? If she does, I wouldn't worry but maybe note your concerns in her record book.

If things are still the same in a couple of months I would mention to parents to see if they had noticed.

I don't think speech therapists etc. would get involved until the child is around 3 and a half, 4 years old.

Just to add I mind a 2 and half year old who is speaking in full ten word sentences and and a 2 and 4 month old who is nearly doing the same. Mum is worried that she is not bi-lingual yet (German) but I have reassured her that it is hopefully all going in but won't come out to a bit later.

Scarfmaker Tue 09-Jun-09 22:09:34

Sorry tried to edit my post but repeated with a bit on end!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now