Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM's - do you /would you do childcare for a few hours a week?

(8 Posts)
JackBauer Mon 08-Jun-09 22:27:57

I am seriously thinking of getting part time job or volunteer work to help out finances/get brain working again. DD1 is at nursery in the afternoons but I have DD2 (20 months) who I would need looking after for justa few hours each week when DH is working.,
Would any of you take a child for sucha short amount of time, and I woujldn't know when I would need care as DH's rota is week by week.
Is it worth even looking?
TIA

KatyMac Mon 08-Jun-09 22:33:08

Yep - I do it all the time
Hospital appointments/legal stuff/highlights/gym

But I can't guarantee a space - it's if it's available

Dysgu Mon 08-Jun-09 22:35:16

Hopefully someone will come along. Just wanted to say that my CM (who is fabulous BTW) does have some mindees that come for just one afternoon a week for example ( and mine who practically live there and others in between so is quite mixed)

I would imagine that, as long as they have space, a rolling rota would be ok.

I suggest you go to see some local CMs and see what they say.

Good luck.

pinkspottywellies Mon 08-Jun-09 22:41:33

I found a childminder who had a spare part-time space and wasn't intending to fill it so she would have my dd on the odd occasion, as long as she had capacity at the time. She now has siblings of the original children so no longer has the space but it was useful when I needed her.

That said, I suppose it depends on how you think your dd would settle. DD knew my cm from toddlers and is very adaptable (ie doesn't care who's looking after her - makes me feel so special wink) so didn't need it to be regular to get used to it!

Our area has a vacancy coordinator. Can you ring your local council and find out if you have one?

ChasingSquirrels Mon 08-Jun-09 22:43:13

our CM now has ds2 from 8.45am (I drop him with her at school) to 9.15am when she drops him at pre-school (my mum picks him up).
She does this 3 days a week and also has him from 8.45am - 3pm 1 day a week.
Ask around and see what you can find.

JackBauer Mon 08-Jun-09 22:43:17

Thanks. Is good to know it is an option, I know nurseries etc wouldn't do it and I just feel like I need some alone time at some point!

(Ooh, I would love to do that so I could go to the gym!)

ChasingSquirrels Mon 08-Jun-09 22:51:57

or - have you got any friends you could do childcare swaps with?

LittlePaws Tue 09-Jun-09 10:05:27

I have some that are here just odd hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now