Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Advice needed please

(3 Posts)
mummysaidno Mon 08-Jun-09 15:19:19

I am childminding a child of three and a half
She does not talk very often and when she does I am unable to understand her as too for her parents.
She messes herself daily and seems unaware, (in the same way a baby would)
I have tried to discuss this many times with the parents but they refuse to see a problem. Not sure what I can do now. She also would watch tv (anything at all ) and stares vacantly at it she would also sleep all day if I let her.

nannynick Mon 08-Jun-09 16:56:49

Using PECS may help with communication.
Some children need to be in nappies longer than others. When toilet training you need to expect lots of mishaps... so keep lots of supplies of clothing (ask parents to provide some).
Cover the TV with a sheet... no tv = no watching tv.
Sleeping during the day a lot may be a sign of a lack of sleep at night... she may not have any bedtime routine, she may be a bad sleeper. You can't do anything about that, but if she needs a nap after lunch, then build that into your daily structure.

cheapskatemum Mon 08-Jun-09 19:34:17

Have parents spoken of these concerns with the Health Visitor? DS3 was the same at this age. He was referred to Speech & Language Therapist (SALT); had a couple of year's intervention; was diagnosed with a speech and language disorder and given a Statement of Special Educational Need on starting school. Now 14, has average national curriculum levels, gets extra time in exams. The toilet training took place successfully at about 4 years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now