Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM Club - Advice about overweight mindee please.

(11 Posts)
looneytune Mon 08-Jun-09 14:03:45

I've got a gorgeous little mindee who is 2.3 and big for her age. She's taller than a lot of children her age and was always chunky (I've had her since 8 wks and met her at 5 wks) but her belly is getting bigger and bigger and things like nappies and trousers are hard to fit her.

I was just having a look at this link and noticed she's above the very very top line on the chart. Do I say something? If so, what on earth do I say? Should I review what I'm feeding her or just let it be?

I'm VERY close to this family which should make it easier to bring up but I find it harder. I don't want to appear like I'm sticking my nose in but I'm unsure as to whether or not it's part of our job to highlight things like this.

WWYD?

thebody Mon 08-Jun-09 16:26:42

Well I wouldnt mention it if I were you.
My own son had a fat year aged 11, he then grew 4" in the following year and has been slim ever since, some children just grow like that. One of my close friends did point out that he was getting bigger and I was absolutly mortified.
I am sure you are giving her healthy food choices, just run her legs off all day in the park or soft play.
Also children are very sensitive and you dont want her worrying about her weight at that age, after all some people are just bigger than others and are still healthy,
Good luck..

looneytune Mon 08-Jun-09 16:49:45

Good, thanks for that as that's how I felt. Mum HAS discussed weight with me so is aware she's big (coz they have a nightmare getting clothes to fit). Yes, she gets a healthy diet with me so no worries there. The only thing is she will eat and eat and eat so has to be told she's had enough (same at home). I feel better now. I get people making comments as if I should say something but I'd hate to upset the mum As for exercise, she gets a lot of that with me so nothing more I can do there.

Thanks for the advice

thebody Mon 08-Jun-09 17:48:00

you welcome.x

cheapskatemum Mon 08-Jun-09 17:57:59

Hi! Was going to say same: don't mention it as family will definitely be aware; healthy food choices - especially for seconds; lots of physical activity and watch out for her playing basketball, women's rugby or some such in future Olympics!

looneytune Mon 08-Jun-09 18:17:06

grin I can just see her playing rugby when she's older!! grin Parents into all that They ARE a very healthy family, yes, she gets quite a lot of cake and stuff but she does eat lots of fruit (just not into veg). I'm sooooo relieved as can ignore people when they make comments, knowing that all will be ok and that it's not my business to poke my nose in

cheapskatemum Mon 08-Jun-09 18:20:16

Worth keeping trying with the veg, tho'. It made a world of difference to DS2, when the only seconds he could have were veggies.

looneytune Mon 08-Jun-09 18:29:04

Oh.....I'm very strict with all that wink. They aren't allowed dessert (yoghurt and fruit) unless they've done well (doesn't mean eating all but they have to have made a good attempt at the veg especially). Tonight she's not eaten (very very unlike her) but I think it's because I put peas IN the meal (pasta bake - cheese sauce and peas with breadcrumbs on top). She then pointed at what ds1 had after saying 'want it' and I explained (she TOTALLY understands - she's very clever!!) that unless she had some of her meal then she couldn't have dessert. Oh well, we'll get there. She used to be fine when was all blended but she's become quite fussy as they often do these days. Parents even have their own allotment which she's very keen on, just wants the fruit though and not the veg!!

looneytune Mon 08-Jun-09 18:30:10

Should have said 'at this age'

cheapskatemum Mon 08-Jun-09 19:27:47

Sounds yummy to me!

looneytune Mon 08-Jun-09 19:50:01

Looked yummy too, never mind, I'll keep trying wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now