Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Advice from CMs about an OFSTED variation??

(6 Posts)
dizzynconfused Mon 08-Jun-09 13:40:54

Hi, am a childminder and need some advice from all u wonderful cms out there, this is my first post but have been reading all the others for ages!!

i look after a child of 23mnths three days per wk, i have my own, aged 2(parttime preschool from sept) and 5(full time school). This is where it gets confusing...ive had two enquiries, one for a baby of 3mnths three days a week starting in july(same as my current mindees days) and one for to mind two kids from late sept, who will be aged 18mth and 4(in full time school) four days a week!

After loads of working out n writing down, it would mean id go over my under 5s by 1, two days a week (12-3.30)

Im thinking of applying for a variation to Ofsted..can anyone give me any advice on what to do, do i write or ring, what do they want to know and will they come out??
Has anyone had experience of this, just worried with them being new children(if they defo want me!coming agin this week)will ofsted grant this variation?

Sorry to go on, im jus really confsed what to do as i dont want to lose any of them!!

Scarfmaker Mon 08-Jun-09 14:05:57

I've recently had to apply for a variation and just gave Ofsted a ring.

They asked me to put everything down in a short letter explaining what I wanted and how I would meet the emotional, physical needs of the children and whether I had all the equipment needed i.e. pushchairs, cots etc.

They then sent me a letter back with a timetable with the days of week on, split into am and pm. I then had to write each mindee down on the appropriate slot. I also had to give mindees names, ages, telephone numbers.

A couple of weeks later a really friendly man rang me and said everything seemed ok and that they would be sending a new certificate of registration out to me and a letter giving me the go ahead.

I'm not saying this will happen to you - I suppose it depends on what you are asking for but I'm sure being over for a couple of hours won't be a problem.

looneytune Mon 08-Jun-09 14:12:30

This is also what I've always done and mostly been approved, however, they were for existing mindees.

SillyMillysMummy Mon 08-Jun-09 15:16:27

I have asked ofsted for exactly the same around 1 month ago. They will not grant a variation other than for continuity of care or siblings.

HSMM Mon 08-Jun-09 17:56:44

I've only been able to get a variation when an existing child changes their hours, or has a baby sibling come along. Never been allowed one for a new child.

dizzynconfused Mon 08-Jun-09 18:14:13

thanks for ur answers smile, i think ill take on the baby, if she wants me anway, and just try with ofsted if the other lady wants me, ill never know if i dont try i suppose grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now