Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

I have been stupid I think..well don't know what to do !!

(19 Posts)
Summerfruit Mon 08-Jun-09 12:24:29

I' a cm. 3 weeks ago, I got contacted by a mum (leaving in America at the time) really interested by my services. She couldn't come to see me earlier than last Friday. To make sure I was not going to see anyone before her, she gave a small amount of money (which would have been put towards the fees if she was going to go for me). So she came, and I really liked her and her dd and I also think she liked me..However, she said she couldn't give me answer before next friday..I have stopped meeting potential parents for her, I tought she would give me earlier answer..I'm gutted.

HSMM Mon 08-Jun-09 12:41:07

Put it down to experience. I only did this once - never again. I'll keep my fingers crossed that she gets back to you accepting the place. (very strange leaving a deposit without signing a contract?)

Summerfruit Mon 08-Jun-09 13:01:20

Thanks HSMM, she insisted on leaving a tiny amount of money as a deposit so she could make sure we met and she could take a decision..I have accepted thinking that if she was going for me, I'll credit it from her fees...She was really keen so I tought the deal was almost done..I have really liked her and I thing she liked me..but I also understand she wants to see other cm in order to make her mind up..but a week seems to be such a long time to wait...and I have refused to see other parents until I have met wrong was I. Hopefully she'll go for me but who knows...before her I met a couple and they never get back to me...

Ring her and tell her you have had phonecalls and need a decision or to refund the cash you are holding as you cannot turn people away not knowing.

looneytune Mon 08-Jun-09 13:09:59

Agree. That's what I always do. I say it's ok to think about it blabla but that I'll call if something comes up and then it's down to them whether or not to risk waiting.

Fingers crossed she does want you but I'd call tbh

looneytune Mon 08-Jun-09 13:10:55

By the way, have you taken the other peoples phone numbers? If not, make sure you do from now on and maybe have a waiting list? I do this but then again, I learnt the hard way like most of us do

Summerfruit Mon 08-Jun-09 13:17:14

I have the other people numbers (thanks god, it hasn't been a long time I have started take the numbers blush but I really want her, I'm sure I could have a great parnership with her and her dd is adorable, I have cuddled her and she was happy !!! I'm ridiculous, it's part of the job..I want to call her but what if she feels under pressure, she'll say no for sure...I'm not in the rush to fill the vacancy, I just want to fill this vacancy with parents I like and who I know will respect me !!

Summerfruit Mon 08-Jun-09 13:18:40

Hey thank you ladies, you are all lovely, you cheered me up !!!

looneytune Mon 08-Jun-09 14:39:36

No way will she say no just for you phoning, that would be crazy. You just politely call her and say "I'm really sorry to bother you, I hate to call but I've had some others call and didn't want to go and meet anyone else until I'd heard back from you. I really hope it doesn't seem like I'm putting pressure on but I also didn't want to turn away the other callers in case you decided you didn't need me" or something like that. You put it to her that you're doing HER a favour and that you'd hate her to loose the space and felt it only fair to ring her wink. I've done this LOADS of times Seriously, if she says no then it won't be just because you called her. A parent wouldn't turn away the perfect childminder just because of a phonecall - they'd snap you up instead!! wink

Summerfruit Mon 08-Jun-09 17:16:48

Looney- I'm going to do it, words for words ! Thank you !!! Will let you know the outcome !!xx

thebody Mon 08-Jun-09 17:58:59

I am sure she will want you, as it all went well, I think you did the right thing, but as looney says always keep all phone numbers and names of enquiries.

Also I always state how long a place will be kept open for until the contract has to be signed so you arnt kept hanging on..

never turn away enquiries, even when you are full, always invite the client to look round the setting and tell them you will keep them in mind if a place comes up, you never know when that could be in this job, Good luck..

looneytune Mon 08-Jun-09 19:49:20

No problem, hope it goes ok You're doing the right thing, let us know what she says

How'd it go?

Summerfruit Tue 09-Jun-09 09:10:59

Well I have spoken to her and she was really nice, she couldn't say yes or no but will let me know asap..I think she really liked me but the only thing which was bothering her was the distance between her house and my house (20 minutes) plus she wanted to look at other cm and maybe a nanny.

As much as I really liked her, I think she is not going to go for me ..Hopefully, she will let me know at the earliest.

looneytune Tue 09-Jun-09 12:24:14

Keeping everything crossed but yes, I think it's best to go ahead with other enquiries and just see what happens. Good luck

Summerfruit Tue 09-Jun-09 12:26:47

Thank you looney !

thebody Tue 09-Jun-09 16:31:30

dont take it personally though, people take the strangest things into consideration when choosing childcare.. keepin it crossed for you and keep advertising...

Summerfruit Tue 09-Jun-09 22:19:49

SHE IS GOING FOR MEEEEEEEEE ! I'm so happy, she just texted me, I know I'm OTT but I really liked her and I can see myself having a good relationship...Man I'm so happy !!!!!SO HAPPPPPYYYYYYY.

Doozle Tue 09-Jun-09 22:30:29

That's great news!! Glad it all worked out in the end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now