Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

One in Seven childminders has left the job since 2003

(13 Posts)
nannynick Mon 08-Jun-09 11:41:42

The media have picked up on the drop of childminder numbers.

Guardian: Childminders Shortage

KatyMac Mon 08-Jun-09 12:29:14

Thanks Nick

What's this I hear about you having holidays??? Shouldn't be allowed grin

Will be one of them soon..... smile

breadandroses Mon 08-Jun-09 13:41:08

I left cos I had twins!

LittleBears Mon 08-Jun-09 16:00:41

Having worked in recruitment - that is pretty good retention!

cat64 Mon 08-Jun-09 16:21:45

Message withdrawn

Ripeberry Mon 08-Jun-09 16:26:16

I'm not surprised as there seems to be a shortage of children around here and most childminders are either minding siblings of children they took on years ago or they are relatives or friend's children.
Even the schools around here are competing against each other for children!

BONKERZ Mon 08-Jun-09 16:28:39

I left in 2007 after 3 years, since then i know of 4 othe childminders who have also left the buisness. I also know of 2 new childminders who both registered 14 weeks ago and have been advertising everywhere and have got no work!

Booh Mon 08-Jun-09 16:30:15

I am another one that will finish within the next 12 months, I love the job, I totally adore it, but the paperwork and having to have my house like a nursery is really putting me off.

Have you read who minds? The new CRB replacement thing that will cost us another £70.........do the government understand how many children I have to look after to recoup that cost.

Ripeberry Mon 08-Jun-09 16:48:28

I'm in a no-mans land at the moment, no enquiries coming in but need some money but can't get a part-time job (unless evening or weekend) as i MAY get an enquiry.
I think if someone did actually genuinely need me i would be so shocked that i would scare them off grin

nannynick Mon 08-Jun-09 16:50:38

The new ISA thing will also effect nannies (though not compulsory, I expect that it will become something that parents ask for). However it is better than having multiple CRB checks for multiple jobs/voluntary work. Some years I have had 4 CRB checks... so just having one done on a continuous basis must be better. Plus it is a ONE OFF fee, not an annual fee.

Littlepurpleprincess Mon 08-Jun-09 17:16:16

A bit hmm about the "toddler curriculum" bit. That's not what the EYFS is at all, it's the opposite infact, it should be child led. But hey ho....

I think its the money tbh. I would consider getting a different job purely for the added stability. The paperwork would be the same in any childcare job, infact I worked in a nursery and it was worse so it doesn't make sense to blame it on the EYFS.

Currently have no mindees btw sad

LittleBears Mon 08-Jun-09 18:01:21

I am in the same position as Ripeberry - loads of advertising and no customers. I am newly registered, cannot give up current role for just one child as have to feed ds. Current role is adult support work but the weekends are a killer - you can work bank though which means you pick your own hours so may work for those of you "resting" childminders!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now