Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Child care advice needed, thanks!

(9 Posts)
lots33 Sun 07-Jun-09 08:01:40

Looking for advice!

Don't have baby yet but trying!!

My partner and I both work full time. I plan to take the full year maternity leave and then return to full time work. I work Mon - Fri, flexi time. My partner is a police officer working shifts. This means that child care will need to vary from week to week. My partner works a 4 week 'rolling rota' so, for example, week one we would need no child care, week 2 we would need 2 days and there is one week we'd need 4 days.

Just not sure what our child care options are. Not very keen on a nursery for a one year old. Not sure about flexibility of nanny/ CM and if we'll have to pay for loads more hours then we'll use.

Considering all options, any thoughts welcomed!

Thanks

Littlepurpleprincess Sun 07-Jun-09 08:11:54

Unfortuneatly, you will probably have to pay for all the hours you may need, even if you don't use, because, if the place is held for you, it can't be given to another child weather yours is there or not. IYSWIM. This would definalty be so in a nursery. Childminders will vary.

You could have an arrangement where you phone as and when you need care but the CM can't garauntee she will have a place that day.

I'm not sure about nannies to be honest.

You might need to consider finding work (for one of you, not both) that has set hours each week. Your child will need routine and childcare will be easier.

However, if that is not an option, I would wait until you actually HAVE a baby (you are way to organised envy) then phone around as many as you can, esp as childminders can vary so much.

Hope this helpful. X

HSMM Sun 07-Jun-09 10:06:22

I used to know a childminder who worked with children from the local police station and she could fit their shifts around each other and worked nights too. This is fairly unusual though, I think.

TheBreastmilksOnMe Sun 07-Jun-09 10:10:24

I am a Child minder and one of my parents has this exact shift like you say - they need me one day on week 1, three days on week 2, 0 days on week 3 and two days on week 4 so I charge them as though the child is with me 3 days a week every week as I would be unable to get another child in on the days there child isn't with me and if I just charged them for the days their child is with me then I would be losing out financially.

purepurple Sun 07-Jun-09 10:13:14

I think nurseries would be out because baby room places are in short supply as it is. I can't see a nursery taking a baby on terms like that. You would have to pay for the days you don't use to keep the place. A 3 or 4 year old, maybe.

pinkspottywellies Sun 07-Jun-09 10:16:41

Would it be possible for your DH to get family friendly hours? I know a police officer who does set days every week under a family friendly policy.

Jackmummy Sun 07-Jun-09 12:55:43

You may be able to find someone... I only work part time as I like time with just my own children and it wouldn't worry me working more one week then the next. Although may charge half fees for 2 days on the week where you don't need any childcare.

May be easiest to find some one who can do two days a week and find family or friends to cover the extra two days once a month.

gizzy1973 Sun 07-Jun-09 13:47:04

you might find a nanny share or a nany with her own child might work with these arrangements

fairimum Sun 07-Jun-09 14:17:05

I am a nanny with my own child and I would consider work like this!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now