Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

I'm interested in becoming a childminder - advice and good vibes required!

(10 Posts)
GBR Sat 06-Jun-09 22:17:19

Hi, I have two DCs, DS will be starting school next April and DD is nine months at the moment. I was made redundant from my office job in Feb while on mat leave, and really can't face going back to an office and paying the majority of my salary to nursery and not spending so much time with my DD (DS does three days a week at the moment and loves it and his friends there , so I will leave him in there till school comes around).

I have slowly come to the realisation that to spend time with my DD, avoid nursery charges for her, stay at home and earn a bit of money, childminding is blindingly obvious, but I guess I am looking for a bit of reassurance about the job - I'm used to working in an office, but frankly am fed up of clients wanting everything yesterday, for half price, and never getting any appreciation for my hard work!

Please let me know that you childminders out there love your job and get satisfaction from it? What do you find hard about it, what led you into it, do you enjoy it, is it worth it? Financially, I know it won't be a goldmine, but if I don't put DD in nursery I'm not spending 850 quid every month after tax for a start!

I guess I'm looking for reassurance - sorry for any rambling!

HSMM Sat 06-Jun-09 22:26:44

I love childminding. I hate the paperwork which is only for the benefit of Ofsted (I don't mind the stuff that benefits the parents). I don't get to spend a lot of time with my DD, but I can be there for her before and after school and I am around in the holidays. If you have 2 pre school children, then you will only be allowed 1 other pre school child (if Ofsted say you have enough space). I hardly make any money at all out of childminding. I spend most of it on food, outings, petrol, insurance, Ofsted fees, toddler group fees, etc ....

Littlepurpleprincess Sun 07-Jun-09 08:03:41

Yes childminding is a way of life, rather than a way of making money. grin

It's a lovely job, but it is a job. DS is 3 and even though he's here all day, I don't get much quality time with him. I have to divide my time between him and minded children. DS does not like sharing me atm, though I'm sure he will get used to it.

It's full time and hard work for very little money.

It is however the job I choose because I am here for DS, I am my own boss, I find child development really interesting, I have freedom.

Do you have any childcare qualifications or experience? If not, you might be throwing yourself in at the deep end here.

dietstartstomorrow Sun 07-Jun-09 08:18:32

I love being a CM, but it is really hard work. As the others said, the paperwork, accounts etc. It is great that you are always around, but can mean less time for your own children.

I work 50 hours a week. So have to spend alot of the weekends catching up with jobs around the house.

For me the money is actually very good. I earned 25,000 in the last tax year. This is because I am full up and both my children are now at school during the day.

tommypickles Sun 07-Jun-09 08:56:33

I don't know why cm's say that don't make money/or indeed why they don't make money!! If I am full during the day only....no school pick up's, just pre schoolers....then I earn 32,400 a year. So that said, yes moneywise it's very good, but not if you're not in it for the kids. If you're not good with the kids or don't have their best interests at heart then no amount of money would make it a good job. But if you love kids and helping them to learn and thrive and experience life then it's the best job all round!! And as for having to catch up at weekend's, I now have a cleaner who comes on a friday, and all I have to pay is under what I make in 2 hours!! It's all good and so much fun. Good luck wink

tommypickles Sun 07-Jun-09 08:58:59

Sorry should have said....income will very much depend upon the area you live....I live in Surrey...so cm's charge fairly high around here.....some parts of country will only charge just over half what I do. sad

littlestarschildminding Sun 07-Jun-09 14:49:54

Its not the 'easy' way out of working!!

Its much harder work than any other job I have ever done. I am running a business, doing ridiculous amounts of paperwork (for no reason other than Ofsted say I have to)keeping accounts, mediating with parents, promoting myself, being a cleaner, a taxi driver and a chef and thats before I have even started looking after children and doing school runs and outings. I have found hardest the fact that family and friends don't think that I am going a 'proper' job despite the fact that I work more hours and earn less money!

But there are benefits. I am home for my ds's and I work from my own home. I can still fling my washing in the machine..and make a cup of tea (if I get time)I have no chilcare to pay...and I get to look after 7 of the most adorable children ever and we have alot of fun and cuddles. I do earn a basic living wage as long as I am pretty full up.

I guess what I am saying is that it isn't an easy way out of working...as long as you are doing it because you have a love of children and know what to expect then Im sure you will do just fine.

GBR Thu 18-Jun-09 06:17:27

Sorry, I have been offline for a few days - thank you so much for all your replies!

I know there are negatives and positives, but I think for our situation it will be a good solution. We're in Berkshire, a nice area with a village school and lots of things to do. I already have somebody who wants a place for her DS when I'm up and running!

Zebra33 Thu 18-Jun-09 15:05:39

Lots of red tape to get through and lots of patience needed with some littlies, but all worth it to be home with your own!

JenniPenni Thu 18-Jun-09 16:54:53

Went from a long hours, thankless corporate job working for others, to a long hours fantastic job working for myself = I have never looked back

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now