Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

I'm concerned, is this something I should bring up with the mum?

(13 Posts)
TheBreastmilksOnMe Fri 05-Jun-09 19:52:50

One of my mindees is 9mths old and her mum and I are good friends. I just started to mind her today and through observing her I have noticed a few things that make me a bit concerned about the way she eats and drinks and what could be causing it:

I have never seen another baby eat or drink the way she does, she has to stick her tongue out over and over again in order to swallow her food and seemed to have difficulty with swallowing a rice cake I gave her and she also drinks very strangely from a sippy cup.

She drools a lot, constantly. More than average I would say.

When she was much younger she was rushed to hospital twice as her mum heard her making choking sounds and thought she stopped breathing. The hospital concluded 'reflux'.

She was initially breastfed but dropped a centile in weight in a fortnight and never seemed to be able to get enough milk even though she appeared to be latched on fine so her mum put her onto formula and she was much better.

All these things are causing me concern- does ahe have enlarged tonsils? a narrow opening in her throat? Are they related in any way? How can I raise my concerns with her mum without upsetting her? I think to her mum this is normal and the way she eats is 'cute' bt to me it says something is wrong.

cookielove Fri 05-Jun-09 21:15:27

if anything i would observe her for a few more days and note down your observation and if still concerned speak to the mum at least then you can back it up and you have seen her more than once or twice

weddingcake Fri 05-Jun-09 22:31:12

Undiagnosed tongue tie?

even though she is 9mo doesn't sound like she has lost the tongue thrust mechanism that younger babies have, which losing of which is a sign ready for weaning, was she prem?

SammyK Sat 06-Jun-09 08:56:14

Has she had her 9 month check yet? You could bring it up in conversation with her mum by asking if she has had her check yet.

If she is eating and drinking it's not an urgent immediate concern, I would note down the observations and try to keep it in light conversation so it is ut there and mum knows you are there to support her and her dd.

nannyL Sat 06-Jun-09 10:26:24

i think you should definitley mention it to the mum...

as you say you have lots of experianc with young children, the mum may not, and if something is wrong the sooner its diagnosed and sorted the better.. especially as soon the child is going to be really getting into weaning and eating proper food

littlelamb Sat 06-Jun-09 10:28:19

Maybe she's just not ready for food just yet? My ds wasn't hugely interested until about 10 months

TheBreastmilksOnMe Sun 07-Jun-09 09:50:29

Thanks for all your replies.

When she was losing the weight in the early days the health visitor said that my friend may have inadequate milk hmm

So my friend started to feed her solids at 3 mths! So there is no question about her not being used to food.

I have tried to have a look with regards to a tongue tie and I can't see anything unusual and I think the HV has had a look and hasn't mentioned anything either.

She has had her 6-9 mth check but I don't think the HV saw her eating or drinking.

Maybe her tongue is too long? Is that possible?

Poledra Sun 07-Jun-09 09:54:39

My DD1 went to my lovely, experienced CM when she was 8 months old. I have always appreciated when my CM points something out to me that I haven't noticed or did not realise was a 'problem' IYKWIM, as I realise that she has a huge amount of experience to draw on. I would not be offended at my CM bringing up a possible problem with me, even if it turned out to be nothing.

Entirely possible TBMOM - look at Jamie Oliver for instance, he has a large tongue...

If in doubt keep an eye on it and then talk to Mum.

NeedaNewName Sun 07-Jun-09 15:02:34

I would also appreciate it if anyone pointed out any potential problems my DC had.

Woman in Clarks noticed my DD2 had feet that turned inwards and advised us to see someone about it - she was quite right too - we just hadn;t really noticed it as being a problem.

If I were you though I would observe your mindee for a few days and then def report back to mum

NeedaNewName Sun 07-Jun-09 15:14:17

No need to reply, have found where I'm supposed to be posting!

NeedaNewName Sun 07-Jun-09 15:14:58

Oops sorry I posted that last one on the wrong board - ignore me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now