Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Babysitting card!

(18 Posts)
Supernanny19 Wed 03-Jun-09 20:32:21

So im making a card to offer my services.. & I need help what to put on it. ( the basics obv! phone number etc) but what else? Dont want to write too much as it needs to catch parents eyes when its on the door mat.

Tia x

Dysgu Wed 03-Jun-09 20:55:39

Bump - always useful to have babysitters. Referees available?

Supernanny19 Wed 03-Jun-09 21:01:52

Yeah I have 5 referees from full time work and about 12 babysitting ones..I just dont know how to word everything.

QuintessentialShadow Wed 03-Jun-09 21:04:39

That seems like a very costly way to advertise, especially as you would be giving out a card to a lot of people that may not even have children.

Supernanny19 Wed 03-Jun-09 21:18:36

You have to spend money to make money.

QuintessentialShadow Wed 03-Jun-09 21:20:39

Yes, but you have bigger profits the less you spend! grin

Supernanny19 Wed 03-Jun-09 21:26:32

Its 15pound for 500 so its not diggin to deep!

QuintessentialShadow Wed 03-Jun-09 21:28:39

True, but go around to your local sure start clinic, the health visitors, local nurseries and preschools and ask if you can leave some there. At least then you know you are targeting parents who might need babysitting services.

Supernanny19 Wed 03-Jun-09 21:30:26

Thanks for the ideas

lechatnoir Wed 03-Jun-09 21:33:18

I assume you advertise in the local shops (that's where I've always found my babysitters)?
As a mum looking for a babysitter my main concern is safety & well-being of my child (as opposed to day care where I want that PLUS a happy environment, loving, nurturing etc wink) so I'd focus on experience & professionalism & put something like:

Babysitting Service
Mature, experienced & qualified nanny available now for casual or regular babysitting. £xph - £xph. CRB checked & excellent references available. 'your first name' on 07..... / email@email

nannynick Wed 03-Jun-09 21:39:37

With advertising, Less is More. You want to entice people to contact you. So stick to putting as little as you can, while providing potential customers with a reason to contact you.

However, I found this method worked 15-20 years ago. I haven't found it to work for me over the last 3-5 years. So something has changed... but I can't work out exactly what it is. Maybe it's that these postcard adverts look just too professional these days.

Back in the old days, I used to print little slips of paper on a dot-matrix printer. They were cheap and cheerfull. Maybe parents are expecting something very basic and not professionally printed.

I expect that a lot of things through the door these days get dumped without even being read.

nurtureandlove Thu 04-Jun-09 09:21:21

Better to spend your money advertising in the NCT newsletter... I just have. I think it's £18 for a half page and you know it's DEFINITELY going to your target audience, AND it's going to be read by everybody in your local NCT (hundreds!) as opposed to printing 500 cards most of which may just be chucked in the bin.

Print out your own little flyers for free. Advertising on the supermarket noticeboards is generally free,or incredibly cheap, so try those. Sainsburys keep theirs up for two weeks so keep going back and renewing it. Target the more affluent areas. Contact local activity groups, baby massage, music groups etc, ask if they want to do a leaflet swap - you take theirs and they take yours.

The thing that may be off-putting about professional cards is they may make parents assume you are expensive!

Get a free website up and running and link to it on your ad so people can go there for more info if need be.

HTH a bit.

Supernanny19 Thu 04-Jun-09 09:45:55

Good ideas ladies and gents(nick smile ) Im not sure what to write though without putting all my experience down?

nurtureandlove Thu 04-Jun-09 09:56:19

Here's how I worded mine:

Qualified and experienced nanny available for part-time, permanent work from August 17th 2009.

Though I have worked solely with babies over the last few years, I have experience with children up to the age of 13.

I have great references, an enhanced CRB disclosure, paediatric first aid certificate, full clean driving licence and my own car.

I am also available for ad hoc babysitting and occasional overnight care.

I cover the TS postcode area, plus Northallerton, Thirsk, Sedgefield, Wynyard, Whitby etc.

Contact me for further details.

Supernanny19 Thu 04-Jun-09 10:14:31

Thanks so much..my NTC MAGAZINE want 60 for 1/4 of the pageeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

nurtureandlove Thu 04-Jun-09 10:58:20

Whaaaaaattttt?????

Where on earth do you live, Millionaire's Row?! Mine's £18 for half a page!

Supernanny19 Thu 04-Jun-09 11:31:59

Lol no i live in SW London!

www.nctpregnancyandbabycare.com/in-your-area/clapham/Advertising

nurtureandlove Thu 04-Jun-09 11:36:28

They must adjust it regionally.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now